norma or edge

vikingsniper

Looking to build a 338 for 1500+yd shooting but I cant decide which one. I plan on using a custom action (again I dont know which one) but I definitely want to use a dbm and i heard the seekins has one that will accomodate the large edge cartridge. It is very simple to get a 338 norma to work in a standard magazine, but I like the performance of the edge. What should I do? Thanks

Jake

there is very little difference performance wise between the two. The only reason to go to the edge over the Norma is if your building on a factory action.
If going to a custom action go Norma. If your planning to shoot to 1500 go Lapua Imp.
The extra 150-200 fps will make a difference.

For 338 at 1500+ I would also go with the Lapua Imp. You can have hornady make a water die to form the brass for you to save on bullets, powder, and barrel life. With a 28-30" barrel, a good load of Retumbo, and 300 gr bullet will be a deadly combo. As for actions, Surgeon XL (if you can find one) and Kirby's Raptor would be my top choices. Since Surgeons are very hard to find, I would go with the Raptor because of the impressive specs. However, I don't know the availability. I don't expect to ever own an Edge, if nothing else because I'm not a fan of Rem brass. Good luck.

I went round and round with this problem about a year ago. I finally decided to go with the Norma. I'm glad I did, it's an excellent round. I can get Lapua velocities with a shorter barrel, brass is cheaper then the other two and I can find it. The brass to make the edge out of can be a bit difficult to find.
Norma brass is pretty decent also. I'd say it's right there with Lapua as far as consistency.

I also like the longer neck on the Norma.
If i were going to build a monster, i'd do a 338-408 Cheytac - also called the 338 Snipetac. Probably a pretty limited barrel life.

I can push it out to 1500yds very easy.

Pros for the Norma
-Long neck
-good brass and can be found
-good velocities with a shorter barrel
-fit mags.

Not saying the edge or Lapua Imp isn't good, they are especially when you want more velocity, but i'd recommend a longer 30" barrel to achieve all the potential. I've got a buddy with an edge and is very pleased also.

xdeano

If you are set on a repeater the norma is a great option. In a single shot I would go lapua for brass life and barrel life.

I don't really see the need for a imp version for 1500 yards and the decrease in barrel life would negate the benefit of the added velocity for me.

The Norma's I have been around trailed in velocity to a standard Lapua by a bit. The Standard LM and the EDGE run hand in hand for velocity with 300 gr bullets. Expect just over 2800 from a 28" tube.

All the 338 Lapua AI's have had a 150 plus gain in velocity. Some closer to 200.

The seekins mag will flow 3.900" max length rounds. I do not like mag box fed rifles but if you feel you need one that is a good option.

For work at 1500 plus the 338 Lapua AI will make you a better shot. The gained velocity , less drop and drift will make the errors of environmental conditions smaller and hits closer to point of aim more frequent.

Jeff

I wanted the "better bang for my buck" and just happened to see that 300rum brass is usually available and cheaper now that norma is providing rum brass (BOUT TIME). I agree that lapua brass is the best, im just not sure how i feel about paying 250$ for 100 pieces of brass. Rum brass (norma) is around 160$ and 338 norma is around 190 per 100. I do realize the rum case would raise powder costs. Does anyone make 338 edge dies? Also...what does one gain from "improving a case" besides velocity?

Thanks

Velocity is the main gain from improving them. Also they tend to grow less in case length which I see as a mute point. There is great brass for the EDGE to made by Bertram and sold by Defensive EDGE. $3 ea but it is close to Lapua quality and has proper head stamp for the Edge.

Defensive Edge also have great Edge dies.

My standard 338 Lapua brass lasted 15 firings loaded to max with 300 gr bullets. Compare that to others with typical case life of 5 firings and the Lapua soon becomes less expensive. Not to mention all the benefits that come with Lapua brass.

Jeff

15 reloads! Wow is that an average or an uncommon thing? That is some durable brass especially with max loads!

15 reloads! Wow is that an average or an uncommon thing? That is some durable brass especially with max loads!

Well, this was 100 pcs and not one culled until 15 firings. I anneal, use bushing dies and do not oversize any brass. I think if not over loaded a dozen rounds would be easily had. More if you take care of the brass. The great part was through the entire life cycle of this brass the primer pockets stayed consistently tight. All 100. The fail was when one of the cases cracked right above the web.

Jeff

Well, this was 100 pcs and not one culled until 15 firings. I anneal, use bushing dies and do not oversize any brass. I think if not over loaded a dozen rounds would be easily had. More if you take care of the brass. The great part was through the entire life cycle of this brass the primer pockets stayed consistently tight. All 100. The fail was when one of the cases cracked right above the web.

Jeff

So just that one case cracked above the web. Thats crazy! sounds like lapua is the way to go!

Also, swamplord, could u tell a huge difference in the norma brass over the rem brass?

I bought a bag of 100 pcs from Brian not too long ago and have not had the opportunity to load any up yet, The Rem brass I use is on its 3rd firing, loaded 4th time pockets were snug and have not annealed so far, will see what the brass looks like after 4th firing, I am running WS2 coated 300 gr Accubonds at 2900 fps out of a 30" bbl, a very warm load and the Rem brass has held up so far but probably not much longer, hoping the Norma stuff will provide more life

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.