Norma is now making RUM brass?!?!

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Camshaft, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Camshaft

Camshaft Well-Known Member

7 mm Remington Ultra Magnum | Norma Precision - ammunition

Just saw this on Normas website. Not sure if its been out for a while and i over looked it or what, but as soon as i can find some of the Norma 7mm RUM brass im ordering it! Should be no prob to neck it up to .300rum. Headstamps dont bother me. Worse case, i will just order loaded ammo and pull the bullets. Unless for some reason they will be using a different manufacturers brass?

2. venom600

venom600 Well-Known Member

Very cool!!! Not sure I'm interested in necking it up to my 300 rum, but I'm stoked to see more "RUM" brass offerings. Are you listening Lapua!!!!???? Beat Norma to market w/ 300 RUM brass and you'll sell it......I promise!!

--Ben

3. Camshaft

Seriously, geeze, Lapua brass for the 300rum, 338rum, and 338edge. How nice would it be to have brass that lasted more than 5-6 firings. I wonder how much of a pain it would be or if its even possible to make rum brass from Normas 404Jeffery brass?

4. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

Cases or loaded rounds??

Is it generally accepted that Norma brass is better than Remmy?

If unprimed cases are available it may well be the ticket for the 270 AMlightbulb

5. Camshaft

As far as I can tell, loaded ammo only. But if they are forming brass for loaded ammo than we might soon see unprimed brass. Honestly I have had good luck with Remington brass as far as durability goes. But uniformity on the other hand is a crap shoot!

6. 358sta

358sta Well-Known Member

Hate to disappoint everyone, but the link Camshaft provided doesn't take you to a listing of ammunition calibers Norma loads. It is simply a listing of calibers that they provide reloading data for on their website.

I looked at all of their ammo lines and didn't see the 7mm RUM listed as an offering nor any of the other RUMs. The page you linked is under the Reloading section of their website and not the ammunition portion which is broken down into two divisions - Hunting and Target with further subdivisions within these.

They may come out with ammo and brass for the RUMs at some point but nothing on their website indicates that they have or will any time soon.

Kevin

7. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

ah poop!!!

8. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

That says it all.

There is one thing that everyone needs to know about the 7mm RUM. It is .004 thousandths
    longer in the body and .018 longer at the neck shoulder junction.

So It requires sizing down (Bumping the shoulder) .004 thousandths before it will chamber in
    the 300 RUM.

300 Rum Brass is scarce and 7mm RUM is also but it can/will be available some day.

The only other option is to buy the managed recoil ammo from Remington for $35 to $40.00
    and shoot it for break in or fouling shots and end up with fire formed brass in your chamber for
    very little more than the price of brass.

J E CUSTOM

9. comfisherman

comfisherman Well-Known Member

I did the cheap reduced recoil route, on 2nd firings I had about a 5 % loss from split necks. maybe this is normal for this beast, but its frustrating as no virgin brass is readily available. Had high hopes for noslers high priced stuff, but who knows when they will actually get that on the market.

10. rscott5028

rscott5028 Well-Known Member

Does Howdy Doody have wooden balls?

11. sp6x6

sp6x6 Well-Known Member

Nosler is advertising, 7mmrum, 300 rum,338 rum,340 WM,325WSM,8MMRUM and many others, sure there out of the popular stuff, but at least there making it. Listed in Sinclair 2011-a [brass]

12. Dano1

Dano1 Well-Known Member

Roy,

See if you can round up some .404 Jeffery cases from RWS. I've heard that they are some of the strongest out there. Case capacity is less from what I understand, but case life is much higher.

13. Dano1

Dano1 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah I forgot that you'd have to trun the rims down and make them "rebated". I know how you like to work at things and make them "fit", could be another project.....

14. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

Thanks, I wouldn't have thought of that.