Norma 257 Weatherby brass

koonazz

Does anyone know if the bulk 257 weatherby brass from Norma is the same as the brass they use for Weatherby factory ammo?

Yes sir accdg to Weatherby's website their brass and ammo is made and loaded by Norma. My question is if the brass they sell as component brass has the same case wall thickness as the brass they use for the factory stuff?

I have never measured it but I use both with the same load data. I will try and measure some today and let you know. If you want to save some money 264 win mag, 7mm rem mag and several others can be made into 257 wby by running it through your die. The necks will be .049" short but as bad as the 257 wby stretches necks they will be close after a couple firings. I have done that often with no trouble. Also Remington did make 270 wby brass and that is identical except for the caliber. Again, just run it through your die. If you are buying brass I would get the right stuff to begin with. But if you have some of the others lying around they will work.

If it's not too much trouble, that case wall thickness info would be great. I'm gathering all this info for a brand new rig and my intent was to break in the barrel with a few boxes of Wby factory ammo while my dies and components are being shipped. Then up my brass count with Norma component brass and start load development. If there is a serious difference between the capacities of the two I'd sure like to know ahead o time. Thanks again for all of your help.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.