Non-resident license fees.

I live in idaho and I think whitetail taste much better than mule deer. You may be the first person I have heard of that prefers to eat mule deer over whitetail.
Most of the time it's because whitetails feed on crops and taste good. Mulies do also some places. Best mule deer meat I've had came from eastern Wy. that fed in wheatfeilds. Also here on barley , Alfalfa and sugar beets. Whitetail doe here is good.

Last edited:
I put the question to an old friend, and retired wildlife professor. He agrees it's probably intended to limit the numbers of hunters entering the state, that it favors wealthy over poor hunters, and, similarly to you, because they can get away with it. I don't know, but I suspect if we really looked into the numbers, we'd probably discover that more dollars are derived from out of state sources than from residents.
Residents pay local taxes and shop locally all year long. The guy who makes $40,000 a year spends nearly all of it 'here'. Non-residents pay a bunch (and I've paid it too), but nothing like the residents....

I can understand that, but on the same hand you don't want all those same folks taking up permanent residence either. I live in Colorado for 11 years. It got more crowded each year. We gravitate to the fun we can afford. So, I guess your right

Residents pay local taxes and shop locally all year long. The guy who makes $40,000 a year spends nearly all of it 'here'. Non-residents pay a bunch (and I've paid it too), but nothing like the residents....
That's true, but not all of those tax dollars go towards funding the wildlife departments.

That's true, but not all of those tax dollars go towards funding the wildlife departments.
Only your NR license and tag money does.
The arguement about gas, food etc.doesn't wash. Is no sales tax in montana.
What about Property taxs and State income taxs NR dont pay?

Get a job in that state you wanna hunt there begging for people or is it because you just want to use Montana, Wyoming, Idaho etc as your hunting playground then go home.

Your opinion on the subject seems to be well solidified, so I'm not going to argue the matter. I will point out, though, that the money NRs leave in the states they hunt is significantly greater than "bang, bang, thank you mam".

Your opinion on the subject seems to be well solidified, so I'm not going to argue the matter. I will point out, though, that the money NRs leave in the states they hunt is significantly greater than "bang, bang, thank you mam".
It solidifys my opinion because its the truth.
So the more money you spend ENTITLES you to something?
I just applied for Wyoming, Nevada and Colorado im not entitled to anything in those states, if I draw ill pay the NR fees and be happy and go hunt

It solidifys my opinion because its the truth.
So the more money you spend ENTITLES you to something?
I just applied for Wyoming, Nevada and Colorado im not entitled to anything in those states, if I draw ill pay the NR fees and be happy and go hunt

You can disagree, and I'm certain that you do, but my view isn't that myself or anyone else is entitled to anything. It's that the resources of this country belong to "all the people" of this country, per the North American Model. And if there must be a price for access to those resources it should be based upon how much, and by whom, the costs of maintaining those resources are paid.