Colorado magazine ban - advice for non residents ?

westcliffe01

So on July 1 the new law goes into effect criminalizing possession of magazines with a capacity of over 15 rounds.

The law has a grandfather clause, but it does not appear to be clear how this would be applied to non residents. I have been in possession of my Galil and FAL magazines for many months, but I rather doubt I would be able to find the purchase receipts. If this is to be handled the way things are done in NY state and many other east coast (and west coast) states, the person in possession is arrested and a judge decides.

Given that this is a very expensive process and can result in loss of 2A privileges (at the very least loss of concealed carry permit), I have no interest in getting arrested and appearing in court in the first place.

Has there been any discussion by CO residents about measures which can be undertaken in the intervening period which could reliably vouch for legal possession prior to the cut off date ? In addition, does anyone have a legal opinion on whether someone from out of state is permitted to bring such items into Colorado after the effective date of the law, if it can be demonstrated that you were in possession prior to the effective date ?

Comments appreciated, but lets see constructive ones and not a rant about how stupid our leaders are. We all know where things are at.

Take a picture of what you have right now with a date and time stamp on it and save it in case of need. That should provide the documentation that you need to show you had possession of the items before the deadline.

Also, if you are not a member of the, NRA or other firearms organizations, you should become one. When they are done in NY they will be coming to fight for you in Commierado. Keep writing your congressmen!

Best of luck! Hang in there! I feel for all you guys. My brother and my best friend both live in Coloradostan.

Another thing you can do is contact the Co. Sheriffs in the areas you plan to be and find out if they even plan to enforce them, seems most won't. Besides are they really going to request to see your magazine out of the blue without a very good reason? Or just not go there. I agree with jkupper that this law isn't going to be around long.

Those are good questions. I wouldn't count on the knowledge of law enforcement. You could get busted by State Police, local police, Game and Fish, Sheriffs. Most of the sheriffs won't uphold these laws, but that doesn't make you safe around here. I've met plenty of guys that would jack you up in a second.

If you are going to bring 15+ round magazines to colorado, I'd suggest bringing proof that you owned them prior to July 1. The law is very vague about a lot of things, since it was written by a convicted felon and all around moron.

The question about out of state is a good one, and no one has a good answer. That will have to be worked out in the courts after people are arrested.

Also, because of the background check law, you can't bring borrowed guns here for more than 72 hours (the exemption), as that would constitute a transfer if longer and thus require a background check.

I just got done writing a letter to the Dept. of Parks and Wildlife and the Governor of Coloradostan. The head of Parks and Wildlife wrote me back right away and asked me to write the Governor again. I think they see the economic impact of all of this coming. I let the Governor have it Joe Biden style with both barrels :D We'll see if he even bothers to send a reply. In the mean time, I would suggest that everyone spend $0 that would in any way support the Government in Coloradostan. Let's make it hurt!

I caught the end of a small news clip that many out of staters were cancelling their hunting trips to Colorado. It seemed like they were skimming over it real quick like it was page 9 news. It may have been on CNN ,not possitive, but if it is on national news there may be more of this than they want to let on.

The problem many out of state folks will face is that even though the federal "transportation act" allows for lawful transportation of firearms through CO, the owners will not be protected if the magazines are considered contraband.

I'm pretty sure that the local sheriff will not be the issue, but one could easily have problems with the state troopers and as we all know, I25 passes right by all of the liberal run cities and there is little sensible alternative to I25 if traveling north/south. Of course if law enforcement finds people avoiding I25, it will not be difficult to control the smaller secondary routes since it is easy to stop people on those more isolated roads in the first place.

Taking a picture of my equipment with my camera (on which I can alter the date any which way I choose) will not constitute "evidence" which will hold up in a court of law. Maybe I need to upload photos to my facebook page, that way they are time stamped in a meaningful way. But of course I could upload any picture, there is no way to connect them with me.... See the dilemma here ? Facebook would probably alter or delete them if requested by law enforcement anyway (it is just a Government spying racket anyway...)

The problem many out of state folks will face is that even though the federal "transportation act" allows for lawful transportation of firearms through CO, the owners will not be protected if the magazines are considered contraband.

I'm pretty sure that the local sheriff will not be the issue, but one could easily have problems with the state troopers and as we all know, I25 passes right by all of the liberal run cities and there is little sensible alternative to I25 if traveling north/south. Of course if law enforcement finds people avoiding I25, it will not be difficult to control the smaller secondary routes since it is easy to stop people on those more isolated roads in the first place.

Taking a picture of my equipment with my camera (on which I can alter the date any which way I choose) will not constitute "evidence" which will hold up in a court of law. Maybe I need to upload photos to my facebook page, that way they are time stamped in a meaningful way. But of course I could upload any picture, there is no way to connect them with me.... See the dilemma here ? Facebook would probably alter or delete them if requested by law enforcement anyway (it is just a Government spying racket anyway...)

A thought...

Could you print the pictures with the time date on them and carry them over to the sheriff's office and have him date stamp and sign them, then keep them for reference?

Perhaps you could get him to engrave the magazines with the date and his office code?

Doc

Seems pretty stupid when you think about your Government out to screw lawful citizens!

At any rate, turn on a news station on tv.
Video your lawful items with a news story running in the background with the time and date.

OR

Take pictures and mail via USPS and do not open the envelope.
The postal cancellation is legal proof...certified would even be better...just don't open it unless in the presence of a Judge.

edge.

Problem solved - I no longer visit Colorado, nor will I do business with Colorado companies.

California, New York and others are on that list as well. About ready to blacklist all the blue states.

When it comes down to it, for a lot more reasons than the Second Amendment, I no longer will have anything to do with libtards and I tell them why.

Historically, both IL and WI were non concealed carry states. If you look at a map and try to figure out how to get from MI to any place out west, it is quite a problem avoiding both of those states. Colorado happens to be both an east/west and North/south corridor that is not easy to avoid.

I have written to the local sheriff in the area I frequent, which as conservative as it gets to look into providing documentation to owners of such items that would have standing in court. So far I have not heard back. Come April I will probably have a face to face meeting with subject contraband in hand.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.