nitriding Q&A

6mm06guy

Ok guys, I have 2 6.5x284's I'm putting together and a 27 nosler, does anyone have real life experience with nitriding stainless barrels?

Also I live in missouri, do any of you have experience with someone close to me that can do it?

I want to maximize the life on all these guns.

Ok guys, I have 2 6.5x284's I'm putting together and a 27 nosler, does anyone have real life experience with nitriding stainless barrels?

Also I live in missouri, do any of you have experience with someone close to me that can do it?

Salt bath Nitride
Att: Ritt
H&M Metal Processing
1414 Kenmore Blvd
Akron, Ohio 44314
(330) 745-3075

I have a melonite finish on my 30/375 S.I. which has a stainless barrel and it worked out great! Very durable and good looking finish. It cleans up like a dream.......Rich

When I called them there was a batch minimum and it was around 250.00. They said that would be about 2 barreled actions.

I´ve had very nice results on my barrels with QPQ treatment. I´ve done it to the following
7mm rem mag
338 Lapua
6.5 Creedmoor

Based on similar rifles the treatment made my barrels faster than non treated barrels. and cleaning is much easier. Also it protects them from rust very well.

I´ve had very nice results on my barrels with QPQ treatment. I´ve done it to the following
7mm rem mag
338 Lapua
6.5 Creedmoor

Based on similar rifles the treatment made my barrels faster than non treated barrels. and cleaning is much easier. Also it protects them from rust very well.
There's also an additional benefit in that these treatments are self lubricating.

7mm rem mag
338 Lapua
6.5 Creedmoor

My experience as well.....Rich

A few questions for you guys that have had this done.
Have any of the parts that you have had done warp?
How many rounds do you fire before treatment?
Could you shoot cream of wheat fire forming loads to smooth out the throat instead of bullets?
What gun smith's have you used that will disassemble your rifle and send it in? And would they do the initial break in and cleaning so you don't have to ship the gun back and forth?

On the 3 rifles I've done this I sent the rifle before any firing is done.
The first one was sent disassembled and the other 2 were sent with the barrel mounted in the action.
This was because on the first one the muzzle break was a little off after the treatment. It was like 2 minutes off if you were imagining a clock, almost unnoticeable but off in the end.
When I sent the rifle assembled this didn't happen.

In general, it's better to break a barrel in enough to clean up the burrs and sharp areas that like to grab copper, generally caused by chambering. This surely has to be done prior to nitriding or you will find the hardened burrs will be with you for a long, long time. It took 10-15 shots to smooth out my custom barrels and a lot of borescoping to confirm there were no potential problems. Then a complete bare metal cleaning before shipping. This worked for me and I'll soon be sending another.

When I first looked into it each of the outfits I contacted recommended you break the barrel in properly according to the barrel manufacturers recommendations before nitriding.

Shooting cream of wheat fire forming loads would do nothing that is going to help you at all as far as barrel break in is concerned.

The metal is not heated to a high enough temperature to cause any changes in shape.

There are essentially two processing being done, the salt bath nitriding and meloniting processing.

Salt Bath Nitriding

Meloniting

These are not coatings like cerakote, they actually treat the metal changing it's surface properties making it harder and less resistant to heat damage as well as greatly reducing the friction by smoothing out the surface roughness.

Done properly there should be no negatives to having it done. Generally the barrels will run at higher velocities with lower pressures and resistant to any future damage from rust or chemicals being used such as cleaning solvents. You should also have far less problems in the future with copper and lead fouling.

The process when done on action parts also essentially makes them self lubricating by virtually eliminating friction.

It's used in military weapons particularly automatic weapons to greatly increase life by reducing damage done by running the barrels hot. That theoretically should also significantly improve accuracy when firing groups.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.