Trutec nitriding experience?

lazylabs

I searched around and found a bunch of threads where guys were going to send stuff off and try this..... anyone done it? I was told by Trutec that stainless and moly were both acceptable but need to be in seperate batches so a moly action with stainless barrel needs to be seperated if both are to be done.

You've peeked my interest! I understand it's an anti friction coating, (dry lubrication), right?

Now is it the same stuff that's put on drill bits, and other cutters, or same idea diferent stuff? What is the process like?

Is it just the bore, like chrome lining? Or is it inside and outside?

It's not a coating. It actually changes the metal structure and hardness. It seems to have merit. The only worry I have is that it could make the surface too brittle. Someone must of tried this out. It cost $60 to get a barrrel done and if it can give you even 1/3 longer life on the big mags it would save you a bunch of money.

More questions about the process:

Is it performed on new barrels, or broken in barrels?

Would you do it on an new lapped custom barrel?

Is there a better wear for the bolt ways when a reciever is done?

How is the color?

It sounds like surface, or case hardening.

More questions about the process:

Is it performed on new barrels, or broken in barrels?

Best to break the barrel in first. Any "rough" spots will become permanent after treatment. Kendricks recommend about 30 shots. At the same time, low round count barrels are recommended. Higher round count barrels have show a decrease in accuracy after being treated.

Would you do it on an new lapped custom barrel?
Definitely... especially a custom. A custom barrel, after chambering, crown, etc., is going to cost about $500-$700. The indications are that nitridng will increase barrel life 2-4 times. once again, best to break-in the barrel. Also, this process relieves stress in the steel and that may affect how your barrel shoots. Some factory barrels are not stress relieved, so there might be some difference in the way they shoot after treatment. Also, receivers may warp slightly after being treated, so best to bed the receiver after treatment. If it's already bedded, I would probably not get it done.

Is there a better wear for the bolt ways when a reciever is done?
You can have the bolt done as well. You need to remove any parts that might be damaged by the 100* heat first. Not all actions can be nitrided. Cast actions like Vanguard/Howa can not be treated. Rems and Savages can. Some customs can and some customs can't. It all depends on the steel that they are made from. Best to consult the treater first to make sure.

How is the color?
Black to Blue Black, satin to matte.

It sounds like surface, or case hardening.
It molecularly changes the surface of the metal.

There's some good info in this thread...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/what-do-yall-think-about-6-5-375-ruger-68438/

If you search the net, you'll find more info.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.