Nikons XR turret really works

bhoges

I recently pickup up a Monarch 5 4-20x XR scope for my 22-250. I wasn't a huge fan of the BDC turret since its difficult if a target is in between the circles. I really like the fact that once you submit all your data your get a custom turret that works from 100-800 yards. I know 800 yards is a reach for a 22-250 but whatever. I used a Magnetospeed chronograph to get my data and in 10 days a custom turret showed up. Its pretty neat how they engrave whatever you want across the top of the turret. I just put in my rifle data. My rifle is a Remington 700 with a Timney trigger and a Ben and Carlson stock that I pillar bedded. I ended up painting the stock and action so its all ready for some chuck hunting. I couldn't bring myself to paint a new scope. After confirming my 100 yard zero I cleaned the rifle and just had to wait to go to my long range club. I figured I wasn't going to dick around, I said lets see how well this turret works. My first shot was cold bore on a clean barrel at 500 yards. I honestly didn't expect it to do that well. My first shot drilled the steel plate dead center. Next I went out to 600 yards. I hit the plate but was a little low. Feeling confident I said lets try 700 yards. Another hit! Next I ran the turret from 100 thur 500 yards and it preformed perfectly. A great feature is the turret won't go below the zero setting. So with mine just run it down to 100 yards and your good to go. My results were excellent. I have to admit I shoot long range quit often and got really good data which is very important. Factory ammo lies about their velocity so its very important to confirm what the box company states. For example both of my 22-250 got about 3825 fps out of Hornady Super Performance ammo. They stated 4000 fps with a 24inch barrel. Thats a big difference which adds up when shooting long range. Overall I loved the smoothness of the power ring and the turrets have excellent clicks. Optical quality was very high and the scope tracked flawlessly. Im looking forward to hunting coyotes and chucks with this setup. Nikon did their homework on this one. Im looking forward to new products in the near future. Maybe one day they will make some tactical scopes? Is this a sexy gun or what?

B., Very nice job. I saw your post on the Campfire as well. Just goes to show you that if you take the time to put in accurate data the result will be Spot On. I have a Custom Turret on my .300 Win, love it, dial's out to 800 yards, thus far I haven't taken it past 600 but no trouble banging steel at that distance. Great paint job too!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts