Nikon Tactical half-mil hash marks - where did they go?

craigp40

Does anyone know why Nikon quit using the half mil hash marks on their tactical scopes? I recently bought a used 4-16x50 Nikon Tactical with mildot reticle. It was an older model with the half mil marks. A great feature that I really found useful in taking accurate measurements. However, due to some parallax issues, I sent it in for warranty repair. For whatever reason, I guess they couldn't repair it and decided to send me a brand new scope. I must say, not a bad deal, but the hash marks are no longer there. Why on earth would they take away something so useful?

BTW, Nikon's response to this warranty repair/replacement was excellent. The whole process took only 2 weeks and they didn't give me one bit of a hard time. They did make a mistake by sending me a new scope without the mildots, but promptly corrected it by emailing me an overnight UPS label to return it. I then got the right scope 2 days later. This was the first time I have had to use their warranty service, and I was quite pleased with the results.

Premier threatened to sue them for copying the Gen 2 Mil Dot that they do.....a bunch of BS if you ask me.
So NIkon lost the half-mil marks......

Thanks Chris. Makes sense now, but still is BS, like you said.

BTW, now that I got the scope back, I can finally get that new 7 mag out that you built for me. I've been chomping at the bit for the last 2 weeks! I'll let you know how she does, but I'm sure you can probably guess already.

I was thinking about this after my reply. I wonder if they kept the scope I sent in more for legal reasons than mechanical reasons just to get it "off the street".

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts