Nikon Tactical half-mil hash marks - where did they go?

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by craigp40, Jun 22, 2005.

1. craigp40

craigp40 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know why Nikon quit using the half mil hash marks on their tactical scopes? I recently bought a used 4-16x50 Nikon Tactical with mildot reticle. It was an older model with the half mil marks. A great feature that I really found useful in taking accurate measurements. However, due to some parallax issues, I sent it in for warranty repair. For whatever reason, I guess they couldn't repair it and decided to send me a brand new scope. I must say, not a bad deal, but the hash marks are no longer there. Why on earth would they take away something so useful?

BTW, Nikon's response to this warranty repair/replacement was excellent. The whole process took only 2 weeks and they didn't give me one bit of a hard time. They did make a mistake by sending me a new scope without the mildots, but promptly corrected it by emailing me an overnight UPS label to return it. I then got the right scope 2 days later. This was the first time I have had to use their warranty service, and I was quite pleased with the results.

2. chris matthews

chris matthews Well-Known Member

Premier threatened to sue them for copying the Gen 2 Mil Dot that they do.....a bunch of BS if you ask me.
    So NIkon lost the half-mil marks......

3. craigp40

Thanks Chris. Makes sense now, but still is BS, like you said.

BTW, now that I got the scope back, I can finally get that new 7 mag out that you built for me. I've been chomping at the bit for the last 2 weeks! I'll let you know how she does, but I'm sure you can probably guess already.

4. craigp40

I was thinking about this after my reply. I wonder if they kept the scope I sent in more for legal reasons than mechanical reasons just to get it "off the street".