Nikon Recommendation-Ian M.

sharpshooterbr

I am getting ready to purchase a new Nikon scope, but would like your guys input on which one you think would suit my needs better. The two scopes I am looking at are the Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40SF Mildot, and the Buckmaster 6-18x40SF BDC. This will be going on a 25-06 that I use for everything from prairie dogs, to coyotes, to antelope. I like the mildot reticle on the 4.5-14, but I like the target turrets and sunshade with the 6-18. As far as the magnification goes, either will have enough for what I do with this gun. I'm undecided as far as the reticle goes however. I dial my scopes for long-range shooting, but I do like the reference marks for those quick shots that often present themselves, especially with coyotes. Ian, I know you have vast experience with the BDC, and would like your input on how it compares to the Mildot. I like the concept of the BDC, but wish it had some reference marks for windage besides just the edges of the circles. Let me know what you guys think, or any experience you have with either of these scopes. Thanks.

Sharpshooter,
You hit it on the head, the lack of windage reference is unfortunate. We can use the 3 and 9 o'clock positions on the circles in light wind for holdoffs but a dot for 10mph reference would have been nice.
Regardless, I would shoot the BDC over the mildots for hunting. The BDC gives me more hold-off points, simple as that.
You have selected some nice scopes, the bigger powers work nicely. I have been fortunate to shoot a lot of Nikon scopes, they work very well in any model or power range.
If you are not in a big rush why not wait till after the SHOT show so you can check out new scopes, I have a feeling there will be some good ones to consider.

Re: Sent email-Ian M.

Unfortunately my e-mail function is fried on this computer right now, the provider switched programs and the new program is not friendly to Macs so I lost my e-mails. They are working on it. You could send one into the link from mcmoutdoors.com and I will get it.
Sorry about this, it is a genuine pain in the butt with all the communication I need to do. They want me to dump my e-mail program entirely and start over - will lose all the addresses etc.

I personally like the BDC reticle over the mil-dot. The BDC take the guess work out of it and more time to shoot!

Dave,
If it wasn't for Mac I would not be on the internet. This thing is still way too complicated. I just learned how to burn discs...
Need a puter-geek to do all the button-tapping, give me more time to shoot! I just can't seem to find time to shoot like I used to, got to fix that.

Sorry to but in on this thread, but what do you guys think of the Nikon Tactical range of scopes?

thanks.

The tactical series is a very good lineup. Crystal clear optics, solid tracking, and a tough design. They are a very good scope. They are however, on a production hold right now. Still a lot of them left in circulation though.

The 2.5-10 is a great scope and it is being sold very reasonably right now. I have used in on a .416 Rigby and it held up to the recoil perfectly. Around 100 moa of adjustment, nice optics and brightness. 4-16 is also a fine scope but it does not have quite as much adjustment lattitude, use a sloped base and you are usually fine.

I got to shoot much of the initial prototype testing of these scopes, have a lot of hours and ammo expended using them. No problems among about a dozen guys shooting them.

Thanks guys thats good to know having already got the 2.5-10 I was looking a Leupold in 6.5-20 but I think I might stay with the Nikon 4-16.

I have to say I like this scope as much as my Nightforce scopes and thats saying something. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

One more question, whats the field of view like on the 4-16x50 is it better than the 2.5-10x44?

If there is any other scope out there better for the money then please let me know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks

Wait till after the SHOT show in early Jan. That is when the new stuff is announced. I would wait.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.