Ian... is an author...for Nikon???

G

so I gets me my Nikon Tactical.. 4-16 and I is looking through the box and all the little booklets and pamplets and such... and me sees this Mildot Magic booklet thingy... a low and beholds me .. I sees a name me's recognizes...

MIL-DOT Magic
by
Ian McMurchy

hehehe... but no fairy dust with the magic booklet.. what gives????

Ric

Ian is a professional. As far as I know Ian makes his living from photography and hunting/firearms/ammo evaluations.

I bought the simple little Bushnell 10x42 based on his evaluation and it was everything he said it was. Very good value.

I respect his opinions and do not think he would lend his name to something which was not worthy of his name.

If he recommends something, I would think it is worth at least the market value you pay for it (if not more!!)

Kindest regards

Thanks for the kind words, appreciate that very much.
Ric,
I did virtually all of the initial testing of the Nikon Tacticals and was asked to write their mildot manual. My objective was to provide practical info for users and Nikon gave me free rein. Hope that you find the little manual worthwhile and also enjoy the scope. My idea to setup the deal with MILDOT MASTER also, Nikon went for it - good deal for everybody!

Working on some other optics stuff right now, including the Didgiscoping project for Nikon, will be working with BORS also.

Hello Ian,
I'm not a 1st time poster, my account stop working during the software upgrade last fall, and I've been just reading ever since. I decided to re-register so I could post again. Anywho, I have a Nikon Tactical 2.5-10 and was wondering if you know what the parralax dots are set for? I know the correct way to calibrate them is to setup objects at different distances and figure it out, I just don't have the facilities to do this. Any help would be appriciated. It's kind of funny that I work for Nikon (in the semicoductor industry) and can't get this info internally. I've asked Nikon the question before with no response.

270WSM,
Welcome back. You picked a fine scope, am confident that it will give you good service. The prototype tactical scope parallax turret had yardage numbers on it but in reality they are not that accuate, they are just estimations. I suggested they switch to the dots with increasing size, to indicate close and farther out, because that is all we need to know to focus the scope. We have to use a laser, simple as that for distance determination. If the batteries in the laser go dead, then we can use the mildots IF we know how to make them work.
Have looked at parallax knobs of many current brands of scopes, simple fact is that the the numbers are not close enough for shooting use. Have had best focus at 100 yds when the numbers read 200 for instance. Might as well just use increasing size dots.

Ian,
So you are saying you are suppost to use the best focus that your eye can determine. I thought the correct way to figure out the correct parralax setting was to set the rifle / scope in a solid rest and move your head back and forth adjusting the side focus until the reticle doesn't appear to be moving anymore. Then your reticle and target are on the same focal plane. I've found that this is sometimes not the best focus (visually). Which was is correct? Is using visual focus good enough?

This is a great scope. I've been using it for almost 2 years now, and have been totally satisfied. Thanks again for any help or comments on this matter.

maybe you don't get my sense of humor...I'm not poking fun at Ian.. more of a advertisement for him letting people know just how involved in things he is...

Ian,
great ideas on your part... here's the only hick-up 3 of us bought together and I cannot get my mil-dot master until I get a copy of the reciept from the person who purchased all 3 scopes :-(
your mil-dot magic pamplet is very informative... I like it...

now back to my regularly scheduled program of offensive humor... apparently.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

To my simple mind the parallax dial is used to fine focus the target and the screw-out eyepiece is used to fine focus the reticle. I know what you are saying, but with the third turret scopes I just ignore term parallax altogether and use the knob to sharpen my image, probably doing so removes parallax. I do the side to side-up and down check occasionally but the Nikons, MK4's and NXS that I usually shoot don't seem to show any significant parallax to my eyes.

Wyo,
Glad that you are happy with the Nikon, you have some fine optics and know what the optical standards of top-end scopes are. We have a lot of Nikon tacticals going and they are just plain doing a fine job. Hope you get the mildot master thing straightened out quick.

Ric

Bingo! I see the light and realise i did pick up on your posting incorrectly.

Apologies.

Rgds

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.