Nikon or Bushnell? Help!

rdt270

Hey Guys,

I would like to know from those who have used the Nikon 1000 and/or the Bushnell 1000, if you had to choose between the two, Which one and why? I understand the leicas are better and will range further but just cant squeeze them in right now. And buying used equipment sight unseen scares me a little. I bow hunt so the ARC or ID feature would be a benefit but wouldn't really come into play during the gun(rifle) season as much here in Florida. I know that this is an old and tired subject so I apologize for onced again beating a very dead horse.

I have the Nikon 1200, and my dad has a leica 900 I believe. I actually prefer my Nikon to his for the reticule and options like illumination. I also find that the Nikon calc's the range faster.

I have ranged deer to about 650 yards and buildings to about 1400 yards. Great glass on the Nikon as well. I don't have experience with the Bushell 1000, but I've used some of the smaller ones and didn't like them. Just my 2cents.

I've got the 800 and my buddy's got the 1200. If the 1000 is any way close to those units....I'd go for the Nikon 1000. Just 2 days ago I ranged an elk standing in and behind some small fir trees at 894yds. and another at 838yds. with my Nikon 800. It was about 1hr. before sundown and a little foggy. You might just go with the 1200 if the $$$ tight.

I finally gotta a chance to compare the 2 side by side the other day at our local GM and the Nikon is quite abit brighter and the 6x vs 5x on the bushnell is better than I thought it would be IMO. My only problem is the nikon when illuminated cast a orange glow over the entire lens which seems to make it harder to see what you are ranging. The Nikon 1200 doesnt have the arc/ID feature or atleast I dont think it does. So Nikon 1000, or Nikon 1200, or ??? I guess when i get to the point ican shoot to 800 or 1000yds then I sell the one I get and step up to the next level Leica or Swaro.

Thanks for the input Guys

I have the bushnell 1000 ARC and it sucks. I couldn't range steel targets past 330 yds. I think the only way to range @1000 yds. is if you're ranging mirrors. Really disappointed with the product.

We have always bean happy with our Nikon gear and we use allot of nikon's stuff but have not tried there range finders. We have bean real happy with the bushnells, I use a 1500, my wife has a 700 and my main hunting partner has a 1200 with arc. The glass is dark but has never bean a problem, the arc feature is of no real use (get a cosign indicator for that)......... Either Nikon or Bushnell SHOULD serve you well but if you want to shoot 1000 get a 1200 or more as most any of these are unlikely to hit there full potential very often.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.