BDC or Dial? Burris, Nikon, Bushnell?

the444shooter

So, I've got a 111 LRH in 7mm Mag on order (I sure hope it's here by Christmas) and I'm struggling with what scope to get.

My thoughts towards this rifle:
Will be a 600-700yd max "mid range" walking around rifle, using 168gr HSM Berger VLD, 154gr Hornady Superformance, or 160gr Accubond.

The following scopes are in my price range--
Burris XTR 4-16, or 6-24 with Ballistic Mil Dot
Bushnell 4200 Tactical 6-24, or Elite 6500 4.5-30 Mil Dot
Nikon Monarch 5-20x44 or 6.5-24x50 With BDC

What I'm struggling with:
I'm concerned that scopes with exposed "target turrets" such as the Bushnells and Burris could get spun too easily and have the wrong windage/elevation dialed if I pull the gun up to do a snap shot (under 200yds). Do any of you have any problems with this happening in the field? I have had it happen once with my Romanian PSL rifle on an antelope hunt, and it cost me one of the biggest bucks I've ever shot at.
Therein lies the attraction to the Nikon with BDC. Great power range (albeit crappy 1 inch tube) and according to Nikon's Spot on ballistic software, all 3 of those loads have very close corresponding drops out to ~700 with the BDC.

I'm not proficient with "dialing the dope" on a scope with target turrets, so I've leaned towards BDC scopes for a long time, and usually keep my shots at 500yds max. But I also think that turrets on a scope look SO MUCH COOLER. (sheepish grin)

What do you guys think about BDC vs. Dialing for mid range shots?

I have had Great luck with the Bushnell Elite 6500 or 4200 scopes.
I Have three 4.5x30 6500 elites with mill dots. One has covered turrets with caps & it is on my muzzleloader. I Hunt on about 6-12x power but it sure is nice to see bullet holes on targets with 30x.
The Quality of all scopes you mentioned is pretty good , but I prefer the elite 6500's, with the rainguard in this price range.

They are shorter And lighter than most of the others and very clear and bright.

just my 2cents.

Captain Ben

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.