NIKON MANARCH 3 OR VORTEX VIPER HS Help?

KyScott

Gonna buy a new scope for my M70 Coyote light 270wsm. I have it narrowed down to the 2 listed below for my budget. Which one has the best glass? Which would you pick and why if you have experience with either. I have to say I did have a Monarch 2.5x10x42 and wasnt real impressed with it. It was a nice scope but not what I thought it would be. I have no experience with the new Monarch 3 or any Vortex scopes. Thanks ahead for the help!

Nikon Monarch 3 4x16x50(44mm actual size)
FOV 100YDS 6.3-25.2
Tube 1 inch
Eye relief 4 inches
length 14.7 inches
Weight 19.4 oz
Custom XR turret(doesnt really matter to me)
$449.00 New

Vortex Viper HS 4X16X50(50mm actual size)
FOV 100yds 7.4-27.4
Tube 30mm
Eye relief 4 inches
length 13.7 inches
Weight 22 oz(seems a little heavy)
$399.00 New(Seems like an awsome deal)

Last edited:
I have personally used Nikon's MONARCH 3 4-16 BDC scope on numerous occasions. At one Nikon sponsored event it was one of the BDC reticle scopes we used to inform folks on Spot On and how it works with the BDC reticle. It was amazing to see the reaction's guy's wold get after entering the information into Spot On then applying it to the BDC reticle and watching them walk rounds on targets out to 500 yards. Excellent glass, tough scope and back by Nikon.
I believe this scope is still on sale for another week or 2 so if you're interested check out a site sponsor to see if they are a participating Nikon Dealer. Drop me a note if you have any question's.
I just finished doing a shoot where we used the Winchester Model 70 Coyote in 270 Win., a heck of a rifle with sub MOA accuracy right out of the box.

Here's a pic of the MONARCH 3, if you want to see the Coyote let me know.

MONARCH34-16.jpg

Wish I had experience with the Vortex to talk about... but don't... (disclaimer :cool:)

We did, however, just put that exact same Nikon (with a regular "plex" reticle) on my buddies Savage Model 16 22-250. He got his out the door for $400. I must say it was my first go-round with a Nikon, having used strictly Leupolds on my own. I am pretty impressed so far.

We shoot it to +700 yards fairly often, dialing up the turrets every time. Pretty consistent, seems to return to "0" anyways. I like the spring loaded "pull up and turn to zero" turret setup, as well as the side focus. Ain't gotta mess with any teensy weensy set screws to keep your drum on the turret mechanism. Turrets are maybe too short, I like them a lil' taller I guess, as I make my own yardage labels to put on the drums and like to get 2 revolutions of info on them, not possible with the shorty Nikon ones. I'd say it was a good deal though.

Sorry again can't speak on the Vortex though I would like to test one out for kicks :D

Being able to set your scope at zero is great for dialing up distances and getting back to your zero. Just a FYI, The MONARCH 3 Custom XR Turret scope is also on sale for around $400, $100 off! I just used one of these last week as well and it was dead on. Obviously the more accurate the information you can enter the more accurate your custom turret will be.
Some of the Nikon's are available with tall turrets which sound like just what you need for your custom yardage, I prefer the standard height.

Thanks guys. Which sponsor has them on sale for 400.00? The only ones I saw on sale had the Bdc reticle and I want the Nikoplex. Come on Vortex folks I know somebody here has used the Viper HS.

Thanks guys. Which sponsor has them on sale for 400.00? The only ones I saw on sale had the Bdc reticle and I want the Nikoplex. Come on Vortex folks I know somebody here has used the Viper HS.

Maybe Bman will help you there. Got mine through my ffl dealer... my dad... lol :D perks

All of my rifles wear Nikon Monarchs. Can't beat their customer service. Had a dust nib come lose in my original 4-16X50 Monarch, sent it back to Nion and they replaced it no questions asked with a brand new Monarch 3. Absolutely love the spring loaded twist and reset turrets. Never had any problem dialing elevation and windage with mine.

No experience with the Vortex. Use one of their Diamondback spotting scopes and the glass is very clear.

Time to get Vortex on the scoreboard:

I have four Vortex Viper HSLRs, which is a little different from the one you're looking at, but as for the glass, I am very happy with them. I have shot with a Huskemaw, and a few Leupolds, and don't really feel that I am "under-glassed" by comparison. Sure there are better scopes, but not in the same price range.

Thanks CB, I am all about letting you guy's know what scope's Nikon has on promotion and encouraging you to take advantge of any of LRH's Sponsor's that sell what you are looking to get. Pretty great price considering the Custom Turret is usually $99 by itself. Get the MONARCH 3 4-16x42 Nikoplex with the custom XR turret for around $400, pretty great deal.

I can't speak for the Nikon. But I can for the viper. I have dam near the same set up your thinking of. Mine is a Viper 5-15x44 mi/mil"Midway edition" only it's on a Abolt Stalker 270wsm with a 20 moa rail. It's my mountain rifle I use most often when hunting out west. The size of the scope, weight, fit/appearence and balance so nice. it's like I had vortex design it for my rifle. As for optic quality I have no desire to purchase anything else in that price range that is offered. And even many above the price range of above mentioned scope.

Gene

Here's a pic of the PROSTAFF 5 3.5-14 on a Winchester Model 70 Coyote .270 Win.. Let me tell you, it's a tack drvier of a rifle.

prostaff5416.jpg

Last edited:
I'll add that the objective lens caps that come with the Nikon are not the greatest. They are made of a soft sort of stretchy plastic that wraps around the objective. In my experience they do not work very well. I often popped them half off trying to open the cap. On my 4-16X50 I actually lost them somewhere recently. Bought a Butler Creek cap and it is perfect. The rear cap is fine as it is made from a different type of plastic, much harder like a Butler Creek.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.