Nikon m-223 encounter

1984nitro

So I got a Nikon m-223 for my wifes AR thinking that this would be a great stater scope for her to get into shooting long range. I didn't do too much research before I bought it. After mounting it and doing some reading on it, I found that the velocity were off. The scope is rated for 55gn vmax 3240 fps out of a 24" barrel. The rifle it is on has a 20" barrel. I tried out the Hornady 55gn over the chrono and got an average fps of 3000 which made the adjustment off. As per the hornady this ammo is rated as 3240fps out of a 24" barrel so they are not off.
After runs some numbers through the ballistic calculator and nikons app for there scope (Nikon Spot On&#153 Ballistic Match Technology Program). I found that a 50gn vmax traveling 3300 fps will have almost identical ballistics as the 55gn vmax @ 3240. I used ramshot tac powder with 27.5gn (this is .5gn over max) and was getting avg 3320fps which grouped about 3/4" at 150yd with my shaky hand.
I have to load up some more round and go out to check the adjustment but it is looking really promising to get the right ballistic for the scope with a 20" barrel.
Hope this helps the people looking to get the scope or having the same problem as me.

Ya I hear what your saying I opted for the regular reticle and uses the turret adjustments. It just seemed like to much going on in the scope to keep track of when trying to shoot quickly. I agree having a dot in the middle of the circle gives a better reference when shooting small targets.

So here is the update for the load development for the Nikon M223 scope. As stated before "I used ramshot tac powder with 27.5gn (this is .5gn over max) and was getting avg 3320fps." This was with a 50gn vmax. I went out yesterday with my wife and daughter to try it out again. She was grouping this rifle at little under 1/2" groups @ 100yds. We set out clay bird at 50 yard increments from 150y out to 450y and 5 at 468 which was the furthest for this wash. She was able to hit all the birds with very minor adjustment for the hash mark on the turrets. This was due to the incline of shooting up hill. It was very impressive she was hitting the bird at 468yr three in a row.
Hope this help others with the Nikon M223 Scope. I really like the scope and it makes it very easy for a beginners to shoot longer range with the ar-15 platform.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.