Nikon Fieldscope ED 50

pyroducksx3

I'm looking at getting the nikon fieldscope ED 50. I wanted a scope that was light enough that I would actually want to take it in my pack hunting. It comes with a 13-30 eye piece and was going to purchase the 13-40 eyepiece. Was wondering if anyone has experience with this scope and also with this scope and 13-30 eyepiece. I was also looking at getting a 27x digiscope eye piece to use with my camera as well. The other option I was thinking about was keeping the 13-40 eyepiece and buying the 40x digiscoping eyepiece and only putting on the eye piece for pics or when i really was having trouble counting points or needed the extra mag. Thanks

I have been packing the ED50 for the last year. Nice little spotter. I only have the standard lense that it comes with. No regrets so far but I sure miss the higher power at times but I sure don't miss the weight factor.

If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to throw in my $ .02.

You can buy an eyepiece that replaces the 13-30 that comes with it, the other eyepiece is 13-40 and doesn't increase the weight. Have you been happy with the scope? I want to be able to identify (not score) the points on deer/elk out to 800+ yards. I was a little concerned how it performed in low light being it's only a 50mm. None of the retailers seems to have this scope to actually look though

I have the Nikon Fieldscope III ED and they are great scopes. Their variable power zooms are actually really nice if you can get over how short the eye relief is. Anything much over 30x will probably produce a pretty dark image during the first and last hour of daylight and because of that I would tell you not to buy the 40x digiscoping eyepiece. I've often thought about selling my big Fieldscope to buy the little 50mm one but I sure like the extra power when I need it.

Have you been happy with the scope?
Yes - it does what it says it will do. Pretty amazing little spotter.

I want to be able to identify (not score) the points on deer/elk out to 800+ yards.
It will be more than sufficient at 800 yds. I get in trouble where I'm glassing 5-10 times that distance.

I was a little concerned how it performed in low light being it's only a 50mm. None of the retailers seems to have this scope to actually look though
It will do fine under the lower light conditions - keep in mind it's not a swaro/leica with a 80mm bell though.

Summary: If you want a truly compact spotter this is the best I could find for the money. If you want to check any further, review some of the bird watcher reviews. These guys are ruthless on products that don't work for the money.
I never take mine off the compact tripod and it has worked very well from either a backpack or in one of my saddle bags. I will say that for a quality little spotter the case it comes with is a piece of junk. I have adapted my case to where it is useable but it is far from a quality case.

I have the FSIII ED 60mm and when I need a small light weight scope it gets the call. Excellent little scope!

My hunting buddy has that scope and it is a nice packer. It is small and I dont think you are going to have to much luck digi scoping unless it is sunny. It has small eye relief. My 15 yr.old 12-40 x60 leo. is a step above and it is not new HD My leo starts to fuzz out at 30

Well maybe I'll just stick to the 27x fixed eye piece for digiscoping then, that combo got good reviews on bird forums. And maybe I'll just pick up the scope and run the eyepiece it comes with for a bit to see if I need the 40x, I'll also be better experienced then to determine if the gained 10x is worthwhile or even truly functional. I had originally planned on selling the eyepiece it came with but I'm not sure how much of a demand there is for the 13-30 eyepiece

Part of the usefullness of that scope like my leo. is it is nice to pan or start on that lower power with more field of view. That is a small scope and it is nothing like running something larger, it is nice for it size and a great packer, but it is Nothing like running a larger scope.The Leopuld 12-45x60 is about 12'' and 32oz, think it is 2x weight, but it is 2x scope for user friendly, start looking at all the outdoor shows and pro guides like John Porterfield, John Burns, Jim Shockey use.Also offical us miitary and sniper issue

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.