Nikon 6-18 Buckmaster

bajabill

Im considering this scope for use on a 338rum and casual shooting up to 800 yds maybe. Mostly less than 600. Are Nikon target knobs simple/reliable to use for this type of application? And, any other concerns with this scope?

Im considering this scope for use on a 338rum and casual shooting up to 800 yds maybe. Mostly less than 600. Are Nikon target knobs simple/reliable to use for this type of application? And, any other concerns with this scope?

I have one of these. If your OK with 1/8 clicks than it will work fine. It's not the clearest or brightest scope so, in the optical area you are getting what you pay for. I have found it to be repeatable and track just fine. The knobs themselves are splined and attach to a splined shaft that comes out of the scope. I like this design over the three set screws but that's just me. I have not had any issues with the splines agreeing with the vertical markings on the turret caps.

They are a good scope for the money. However, I would be concerned with the power level. 6-18 may not be really nice to do close up work with.

It comes with 2 sets of knobs. Is there any real world difference between the sets other than the larger diameter where you grip the knob?

I assume that after you zero the gun, you can loosen the allen screw and return the knob to zero, regardless of number of turn you moved it. Also, I guess it is also possible that you may have to back the knob out and tighten the allen screw to drop the POI real far.

The 6 power is not a problem cause this is not my hunting gun. For my fun guns, if it would help costwise, I could use a fixed, high power scope because they are always used near max magnification anyway.

It comes with 2 sets of knobs. Is there any real world difference between the sets other than the larger diameter where you grip the knob?

The target knobs can be covered with the caps that come with it, and the other knobs will be exposed.

I assume that after you zero the gun, you can loosen the allen screw and return the knob to zero, regardless of number of turn you moved it.

You are correct

Also, I guess it is also possible that you may have to back the knob out and tighten the allen screw to drop the POI real far.

Don't follow you here.

As far as resetting the zero, all you are able to set is the 6 MOA on the knob itself. When you take the allen screw out you simply slip the knob off, turn it so the zero is next to the indicator on the scope (little hash mark), then you slip the know back on and reinstall the allen screw. You have a full range (40MOA) adjustment available w/o touching the allen screw. When You count your clicks, you will need to keep track of how many revolutions you made or remember which revolution line was exposed below the knob cap.

I had a chance to pick one of these up for 15% off. But it was without the box and without the larger knobs or the sunscreen. I dont know how much those items would be worth to me, but I have decided to pass on it for now. Maybe, by the time I actually need the scope, I can find a sale at Bass Pro or I will at least have more points built up. Do Nikon scopes ever go on sale, I know the Leupolds rarely if ever do.

I am confused how the full 40 MOA adjustment can be made without taking the allen screw off. Is the 6MOA the horizontal lines shown on the elevation turret?

I had a chance to pick one of these up for 15% off. But it was without the box and without the larger knobs or the sunscreen. I dont know how much those items would be worth to me, but I have decided to pass on it for now. Maybe, by the time I actually need the scope, I can find a sale at Bass Pro or I will at least have more points built up. Do Nikon scopes ever go on sale, I know the Leupolds rarely if ever do.

Watch ebay you can get the nikon for $280 TYD:)

I am confused how the full 40 MOA adjustment can be made without taking the allen screw off. Is the 6MOA the horizontal lines shown on the elevation turret?

If I am understanding you correctly...yes.

I responded because I think you were misinterpreting how the target knobs were set up. I'll try to go through it.

If you take out the allen screw, you will be able to slip the knob off. When you look at the scope you will see a the bright aluminum that the knob covered up mostly. This bright aluminum will have horizontal black marks on it intersecting one long vertical black line. Inside the bright aluminum you will see the spline shaft that the knobs fit on. The only reason you have to take the knob off is to switch from the "hunting" knob to the "target" knob, or to rotate it so the "zero" on the knob lines up with the vertical line on the bright aluminum part of the scope.

Only some of the black horizontal hash marks will be exposed beneth the target knob when it is in place on the scope. For every 2 revolutions you make with the knob you will reviel more of the horizontal marks.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.