Nikon Buckmaster 6 X 18 X 40 SF W/BDC Reticle

MT4XFore

I picked one of these scopes up this weekend at a gun show here in the Big Sky. Yesterday I mounted it up on a 22-250AI and headed to the range. As usual, it was a bit breezy here (10 - 20 mph out the SW and W). Not the best conditions to try out a new scope. Anyway, my initial shots were about 1/4" left of dead center. I gave the scope two clicks right (1/8 moa adjustments) and shot the center + out of the target. The 5 shot group measured 1/2", dead center.My scope came with instructions on how to use the BDC(they were suspiciously identical to what IanM posted here the other day). My range only goes to 300 yds. so it was off to 200 for the next test. I was shooting at a target with a 2 in. square bull with a big + separating it into 4 equal quadrants 1" square. My two hundred yd 3 shot group also measured 1/2" to my surprise, however it was slightly low and right (the wind was starting to have its way with my bullet now). After carefully putting the crosshairs on the bull and noting where the group was in relation to the BDC reticle (about halfway between the crosshair and the top of the first circle on 18power) I used that reference and fired again. The shot was right on for elevation but I forgot to factor in the wind. So I shot once more factoring in the wind and almost shot the + out again. Now, on to 300..... My three shot group at three hundred yards was about 6 in low and 3 or 4 inches right. Again I put the crosshairs on the target and noted the group's position in relation to the reticle. (This group had two shots fairly close together and 1 "flier" that opened it up to maybe 31/2". I noted that the center of the group was about in the center of the first circle. I also noted that if I put the right edge of the circle in the middle of that group, the left edge of the circle was in the middle of the target. So....... to allow for the wind which was now directly out of the west (I'm shooting north), I put the center of the right edge of the first circle on the left edge of the bull and shot a three shot group that had the last two shots within an inch of one another in the top half of the bull and the first shot cut the verticle line of the + in the bottom of the bull. So I ended up with less than a two inch group at 300 yds using the BDC reticle. I know it sounds complicated, but really it isn't. I was truly impressed on how easy it was to use. This scope is certainly not a NF or a Leupy, and it isn't a low light scope, but it is bright and clear enough for most situations. And for under $300, it is quite a buy!!!
Good shooting and God Bless!

Jim

MT4XFore,

Thanks a bunch for your post . You have answered some questions I had regarding t he 6x18 . I know the 4.5x14 is good to go as my oldest son bought one a t my recommendation because of what I learned from many here .

My two youngest sons want a good scope for their 243's they are setting up for long range . Also their eyes are great so the 40 mm will be more than sufficient , I do wish however that Nikon would make them in a 50 mm , oh well .

Thanks again , Jim B

jimm,
You're more than welcome. I hope your sons find the scope they need. The BDC reticle seems really well thought out to me, and it is readily adaptable to most any cartridge, with a little work. Good luck, and God Bless

Jim

I have a 4.5X14x40 BDC on the 300 rum. Have put about 50 rds down the pipe with it. Holding up so far. Full house 200 gr loads at 3150+. Initially I thought my scope didn't tract accurately but have since shot enough that the scope has proved me wrong. The BDC reticle makes hits at longer ranges pretty easy once you get dialed in. The glass is in my opinion adequate but nothing awesome. I still think the buschnell 3200's in the same price range have better glass. However, I like the scope and plan on using it. I like how much easier it is to hit very accurately out at 400 yds. I havent shot out to 500 or 600 yet. but will.

The technical data sheet says that it has 50moa in both directions. At this point I dont see any reason to doubt its ability to withstand that kind or recoil. I hope this helps a little. Good luck, and God Bless.

Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.