Nikon Buckmaster 4.5X14-40 SF w/ Mil dots AWESOME

Mysticplayer

Just spent some time with Nikons new Buckmaster SF scope. It is fantastic for the sort of features I want in a LR hunting scope.

It comes with low profile target turrents with very positive clicks. Sighting in showed that adjustments were very good and precise. Will need more testing to confirm repeatability and such but very impressed so far.

The target knobs were held on by a central nut which is a much better system then the set screws on the side of the caps. This system is not going to strip with repeated use and will stay on.

The side focus knob is a great feature for the higher magnification offered. Very smooth and the range indicator is not too far off either (still don't use this as a rangefinder).

Magnification adjustments are smooth and stayed put. Field of view a bit narrow but very useable from 50yds to way out there.

This is a very compact scope. The same size as the Elite 4200 2.5X10 scope but with 40% more magnification. Weighs pretty much the same too (17oz). So a bit heavy for a hunting scope but light for a target scope.

The best part are the optics. WOW!!! Bright and clear. Crisp image and excellent edge to edge clarity. This one has the same optically qualities of the elite 4000/4200 scopes. That means awesome. A very flat image with no distortion during paning.

At low mag, you can still see clearly from 50yds on out. At higher mags, a quick turn of the SF knob and you are crystal clear. I will hunt with this set at 6X and 150yds on the SF. Just turn up the mag if needed.

Haven't really done a true low light test as I live around lots of city lights. however, was still very bright well after sunset.

The mil dot reticle is very crisp and easy to see the dots. Plus you get a great manual from our very own Ian MacMurchy. Voucher for a free mil dot master is a great bonus too.

Overall, I am going to rate this scope a best buy. For those who want a tactical scope with mil dots and side focus, this one has it all and optics that will make a Luppy Mk4 cry. Time will tell how it holds up, but like other Nikon products should be a winner.

don't let the Buckmaster brand hold you back. This scope is worth a whole lot more if it came with another name brand on it.

Nikon has been shaking up the binos and high end tactical scope world. They just made a big move into the affordable hunting segment.

Jerry

hey jerry, I am glad to hear about your good report with the buckmasters scope. I am looking for a good light hunting scope and just cant decide between a nikon or a leupold. How would you say the nikon compares to a zeiss conquest? I am also a fan of the side focus knobs and wish that more mid priced scopes had them. Any more info or thoughts on scopes would be helpful as I am still shopping. Thanks

Sounds like a good buy but got one question.The specs if I read them right say Parallax is set at 100 yards.Is a guy gona have a problem with the x hairs wandering off target farther out?
Heck for the $ I may just get one for the 22lr and see how it does.
Nikon 4.5-14x40 Buckmaster Riflescope

killzone, cannot compare with the Zeiss as I have not played with one. However, these compare well with the Elite 4200 series and these are some of the best scopes optically. I can say with certainty that given an honest comparison between the Elite and the Leupolds, the Elites are better.

Now the Nikon Monarchs compare very well to the Elites, excellent optics. These Buckmasters are right on their heels for dirt cheap.

Believe or not 'made in Phillipines'. I guess good machinery can be put anywhere.

Further testing will be required before giving full approval. However, a very good start.

The 'focus' or parallax adjustment goes down to 50yds. At lower mag, it pretty much 50ft. Would work very well on a 22LR as you can dial it right down. For longer ranges, even at high magnification, the images are clear and crisp at ranges from 150yds out even though the dial is not set for the range. Very forgiving optics.

Jerry

I would like to know how the size of the dots compare to a bushnell 5-15 legend. I use this scope on my rimfire rifles and would like finer aiming points for hold over on small tagets. Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.