Nightforce vs Perry-Systems software

jmermis

Hello. I recently purchased a new NXS scope and wanted to know everyone's opinions about the two software packages available. I know the NF only has the NF reticles, but i don't know if the Perry-Systems has the information for the NP-R1 reticle as the NF would. I like the idea of the Perry-Systems being available for other reticles, but if the NF provides much more detail i'll just go with that.

Wanted to get some input before spending the money.

Thanks.

Jeff

Unless there is a newer version than what I have of Exbal, it doesn't have the NP-R1 reticle. Other than that, Exbal and the NF are the same software.

My older version of Exbal(7.1) has the NP1-RR, and NP-R2, so it would work fine as far as I can tell.

The NP1 just has 1moa hash marks versus 2moa NP-R2. Right?

Right.;)
ScreenHunter_Mar1720080131PM.jpg

ScreenHunter_Mar1720080132PM.jpg

Nightforce finally got their website updated and it has all of the new info.
HOME

Last edited:
Those of you that have used both the new NP-R-1 and the older NP-R-2. Which of the two reticles to you perfer. The NP R-1 looks very busy. The NP R-2 seems a little better for long range hunting? Any advise from those that have used both. What is your preference.

I've only used the NP-R2, so far. I believe I'll send one back to NF to get it switched out to the NP-R1. A lot of people have the initial opinion that the R1 is "busy" but remember that this is probably on a dedicated long range rifle and not a "brush gun". Hurried shots will not be the rule but the exception.

If your spotter, or you if by yourself, calls a shot 3 moa low, then with the R1 it's easy to adjust. With the R2 it's also easy but you have to split the difference between two hash marks. The 2 moa on windage is a big improvement over the 5 moa marks. Too bad they didn't make it 1 and 1.

Several on here have used both and seem to prefer the R1 and I'd tend to agree even without having one yet.;)

i received some information today that the PC Version 9 of the Exbal program has the NP-R1 reticle configuration built in and that the pocket pc/palm versions do not.

Anyone out there with the lastest version of Exbal on PC can verify? After talking with Nightforce today to find out only their reticles are available in their product, i'd like some flexibility but might not be able to get it.

thanks
jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.