Nightforce NXS made in USA or Japan?

geo4061

Today on Extreme Outer Limits TV show Bob Beck is touring the Nightforce plant in Orofino Idaho. He shows each stage of the scope manufacturing process. Here is the problem. Why is the NXS I bought a few months ago marked made in Japan? I loved this scope until I saw this in small print on the belly of the NXS.

I think that's because a high percentage of the scopes components are sourced from Japan. The scopes are built ( assembled ) and each tested...here in the U.S. Don't let that little marking on the under side of the scope bother you.....you've got a really excellent scope with a great warranty that's backed by an excellent company in the U.S. and also Australia, I believe.

Wayne

Light Optical Works(L.O.W.) builds glass for a great many "Merrican" scope companies, and many tubes are mfg'd in the Pacific rim countries.

Of the NXS line only the F1 is stamped USA. The Nightforce NXS line is one of the best scopes out there when cost, mechanics and glass are factored. I don't know of any quality scoped that is fully sourced in the US.

I just traded straight across my NXS, made in Japan stamped, for a Leuy Mk-4, totally made in USA.

Reason for trade was to drop nearly a pound in weight.

From looking a the innards of the MK - 4 that I can get at and comparing to the NF I am a bit queasy to say the least. **** that Idaho 16 pound regulation!

I wouldn't feel too disappointed about components being sourced in Japan. My company produces very sophisticated scientific equipment which includes advanced optical components. We have done testing of optical components from suppliers worldwide. The application far exceeds the requirements of rifle scope optics. Japanese lens and coating technology is second to none.

I just traded straight across my NXS, made in Japan stamped, for a Leuy Mk-4, totally made in USA.

Ehhhh, NO. Those are not "Totally made in the USA", they are totally assembled in the USA. Leupold also sources glass from LOW, and some erector sets.

If you want to support a 100% Merrican product, there is only one scope company that is possible with. U.S. Optics. They have A line that has 100% Merrican Produced components. However, unless you contract otherwise, they reserve the right to use off-shore parts; if domestic inventory is out.

The quest for "cheaper" has pushed a great amount of our manufacturing across some border; we don't make nearly as many products as we one did.

I wouldn't feel too disappointed about components being sourced in Japan. My company produces very sophisticated scientific equipment which includes advanced optical components. We have done testing of optical components from suppliers worldwide. The application far exceeds the requirements of rifle scope optics. Japanese lens and coating technology is second to none.

+1! As long as it meets or exceeds the quality control/assurance for the scope design, IMHO, it does not matter where it is made/assembled. Having said that, I wish it can be an all US made component.lightbulb

I'm sure you could just call Nightforce and ask them. I saw that episode also and was a little surprised that the scopes weren't assembled in a clean room with HEPA filters, hair nets, and such. It pretty much looked like my garage except they wore booties. But that lady whacking each scope on a post......
I wonder if they do that to the SHV ??

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts