Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50..opinions and experiences sought

hopt

I just ordered a Nightforce 3.5-15x50 with a NP-R3 reticle. I have been wanting (badly) a Nightforce for 2-3 yrs now and was finally able to pull it off! I almost feel like all this anticipation is bound to cause a letdown when I receive it later this week! I bought this particular model because it will be primarily used for hunting and occassional range time. I'm looking for any advise or opinions from those who own one like this. It will be going on a Remington LTR in .308. Any advise or opinions on this scope and set up would be appreciated. Thanks, hopt
gun) :cool:

I have 2 of them and really like them (both NP-R1's). The left side parallax adjustment is pulled out to illuminate the reticles; the amount of force to operate this switch can be adjusted. I'd recommend not to loosen it up too much. I did this with one of my scopes and now it is too light and turns on all the time. Not a problem with the scope at all, just something to be aware of.

Good luck with your scope, you won't be disappointed.

AJ

Don't worry,

The wait will be worth it!

Let us know what you think of the scope once you have had a chance to try it out.

Sorry to be the one to tell you but the only thing the first Nightforce is going to do for you is make you want to replace all of your others with one. I have a 3.5x15 on my 264 win mag and a 5.5x22 on my ultra mag and 12x42 on my 6BR. Plan to buy another 5.5x22 for my 7mm/300 that 308 Nate is building me. Wish I could replace the rest of mine with nightforce but I haven't won the lotto yet. Good luck Dan One other thing I had Joel Russo build me a stock for my 6BR now I would like to have several of them so they are kind of like the nightforce scopes,very contagious

they are awesome, but be ready for how big they are.

they are big, heavy and long, but oh so nice. love the positive clicks in the turrets.

Thanks for the input guys. Just outta luck I happened to see Bear Basin Outfitter's ad on here and inquired into their 1 yr. no interest plan. It ended yesterday, and I got my scope order in yesterday about 15 minutes before they closed! This lets me pay it out over a year or in my case I will put half (or more) down, and gives me the option of paying the rest out over a year. I have no plans of taking that long to pay, but the option was enough to convince me this is the best chance I'll have to get one. I'm a fireman and although our pay is very good, Nightforce scopes usually aren't an option on that kind of salary. It's my 2nd job that lets me buy my expensive "toys"!

As far as expensive scopes go, yes they are habit forming. I went from Simmons on most of my rifles to Leupolds and a Meopta which I really like (thanks goes out to Alex at EuroOptics on the Meostar R1). Now it's cheaper to buy pistols because when I buy a rifle I know I'm looking at a minimum of $500 more for a scope! Thanks again guys. hopt

Last edited:
Read the manual about how to focus the eyepiece and do a good job on that if you wish to get the most out of your investment. In fact you should do it a couple of times just to make sure you get it really fine tuned.

PS

If the prescription of your glasses is out of date then you have wasted a lot of money.

Nice scope! Have fun with it! That said, NF isn't my choice anymore for a hunting rig. They are nice and optically as well as functionality they do all they should for the price.

I have gone to lighter scopes because when I plan on having a certain weight finished set-up (say 10lbs), a 2# scope means I have 8# to build the rifle with. With a 1# scope, I can have a 9# rifle. I like the weight as close to center as possible so I like that extra pound in the barrel & stock instead of in the optic and farther away from the rifle core.

Not dissing your purchase, you will love it. Just my different approach.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts