NightForce NXS 3.5-15x50 or IOR 3-18x42

justgoharder

Price on both is pretty similar. I have no idea which would be better. I wish I could find a local dealer with both so I could compare side to side but I can't so I'll just have to rely on the expert opinion of everyone here.

thanks for your help!

Another satisfied Nightforce owner here.

I was shooting next to a guy who had an IOR and it didn't have enough come-up to get him to 800 yards. I don't know what model it was.

You might try the Firing Line in Aurora, CO. I know they have Nightforce and S&B, you might give them a call to see if they have IORs too. Otherwise, I think the IORs main address is in Littleton.

They may seam similar and kinda are but there are a couple of key differences that might help you decide between the two.

-------Tube-----Bell-----Reticle----FOV---------MOA ADJ
IOR....35mm...42mm...MP-8......61-8ft......65MOA
NF.....30mm...50mm...options...27.6-7.3ft..110e-80w

Personaly I like the MP-8 reticle,huge field of view and the fact that the scope can be mounted lower.The glass in the IOR to my eyes at least is a little better.The NF has a larger agjustment range and a lot of reticle options.
You might be able to find a used NF cheapr but a new IOR is gona be a little cheaper depending on dealer.

I recently bought a 4x14x50 MP8 IOR & have a hide edition 3x18x42 IOR on order. I am really a Swarovski fan, but I am very happy with the IOR that I have. I toiled over the IOR/Nightforce decision and am glad I went with the IOR. I really like the MP8 reticle. I think that the IOR has a little better glass & better low light performance, but that is probably splitting hairs. I know that it is hard to get your hands on a IOR just to look at. I ordered mine after looking at a much older model. You will be served well either way. I bought mine from Liberty Optics.

Imac,
IOR's US headquarters is in littleton Colorado. I suggest you give Val a call (numbers on the website) and take a look at the IOR. then go over to any sportsmans warehouse in littleton and check out the Nightforce. Thats the best you can do for checking both out.. Good luck to you

They both have their pros and cons. What finally sold me on the IOR was the NF's occ lens rotates with the Butler caps in tow. In other words, when turning the power ring up/down the Butler caps rotate with it. To me, very annoying.

The biggest downfall about the IOR 3-18x42mm I have is it's heavy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. Every single piece of spec sheet material I could read on it says 22 oz. Mine must have lots of "LEADED" glass because it weighs 29 oz. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I looked hard at the 4-14x50 but was sold over by the 3-18x42, especially once I got my hands on it.

I've handled NF's, they just didn't trip my trigger.

With a 20 MOA base on my Rem 700, the 30-06 Ackley w/ 180 BT's at 3050 fps can still get to 1540 yds in the IOR.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.