Nightforce NX8 and Vortex AMG

shooters

I'm looking for that sub 30oz weight and there are in my opinion only 3 scopes out there worth looking at below 30oz that have a higher magnification.
Leupold Mark 5HD. I own 3
Vortex AMG. Never used or had hands on.
Nightforce NX8. Used briefly.

I NEED to order a scope on Monday. Obviously the NX8 is gonna be reliable.
I can get both at the same price.
I need a glass comparison. Turret comparison. Build quality comparison and so on. I've done all the research on weight, FOV, adjustments and so on. Really need experienced individuals who've tried or have both. I know resale of the AMG isn't that great and Nightforce is. Used for hunting. Like FFP. Like both reticles. Also like shooting steel at long range. Really just need to know what the better of the two scopes are all around.
Thanks.

I have the AMG and I can tell you the turrets are great and just like the turrets on the Gen 2 razor only slightly smaller. The glass is also just like the Gen2 which I happen to love but I am probably a Vortex supporter, not sure. I havent seen or shot an Nx8 but I have read a few opinions and folks are seeming to like it but as I said no real experience to speak to on that.

I have mk5hd 3-18 and 5-25 and nx8 4-32x50. Personally I think the mk5 5-25 pr1-moa scope has better glass, better parallax, better eyebox. You'll probably find the same with the AMG vs the nx8 due to its design with the 8x erector and short length. I'd get the reticle that you like the best and rock on. No problems with my nx8, if it's overcast or lower light situation, max mag you can really use is 25X. Ideal conditions are required for it to truly be an acceptable 32x optic. I don't need a tree reticle for hunting, so that rules out the amg to me.

I have mk5hd 3-18 and 5-25 and nx8 4-32x50. Personally I think the mk5 5-25 pr1-moa scope has better glass, better parallax, better eyebox. You'll probably find the same with the AMG vs the nx8 due to its design with the 8x erector and short length. I'd get the reticle that you like the best and rock on. No problems with my nx8, if it's overcast or lower light situation, max mag you can really use is 25X. Ideal conditions are required for it to truly be an acceptable 32x optic. I don't need a tree reticle for hunting, so that rules out the amg to me.

Well shoot. I have two 5-25x56 Mark 5HD's on both my Carbon 300 Ultras as well as a 5-25x56 ATACR. I've personally had zero issues with my Mark 5HD's but I haven't spent enough time "abusing" them. My biggest concern is durability on the lightweight carbon gun and assumed the Nightforce would be more robust...but it's actually lighter weight. Also assumed the NX8 would have had better glass....but I really like my Mark5HD and to be quite honest, I think my Mark 5's are on the same level as the ATaCR except I notice the ATACR scope housing disappears when looking through it while I really notice the Mark 5's housing as well as the ATACR has seems to have a much wider field of view. All in all, I'm completely happy with the Mark 5. I also do not really care for the AMG reticle. And I honestly prefer the PR1 MOA reticle as well due to the center dot and the reticle is very usable on 5 power. I prefer it over my MOART. You may have just made my mind up for me. For a long time, I was stuck in the mind set that if it didn't say NF on it, I didn't want it. The NX8 seemed so intriguing with the "mostly" ED glass, NF reliability, the 32 mag range and its lightweight. 🤔 Hmmm.
Thanks Highdrum

Let me say I have zero experience with the NX8...I will say I'm a Mark5 fan boy..I like them..I think the the mark 5 glass is better than the AMG and cost a little less..i did look at NX8 and liked it...so if it were me...I'd go Mark5 3-18 then NX8....

The pr1-moa reticle is different in my 3.6-18x44 vs the 5-25x56. It's thicker, maybe so that it's more usable at the 3.6-5x range for short range hunting shots, or maybe cuz mine is illuminated, the 5-25 is not. Field of view #s on the mk5 5-25 are slightly larger @ 5x and slightly less than the atacr @ 25x very comparable.

Messed around with an NX8 in the store today. I couldn't really see much difference between the eye box, glass, or parallax from what time I spent behind them. Them being the Mark 5HD/NX8. I will say that the NX8 that I sampled didn't quite have the "feel" in the turrets as the couple NXS and ATACR's that I have. Seem very soft. I wouldn't say mushy....but they definitely were not distinct. My NXS has a much better feel as well as the ATACR. Not sure if all NX8's are like that. I'm still in love with the Mark5HD turrets though. Anyhow, still up in the air.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts