Nightforce NSX 5.5-2x56

hoverp

Nightforce NSX 5.5-22x56 is the model I settling on, now I need to pick a retical....for the NSX users out there what is the most selected retical that you see longrange hunters going with and why. Ive been crawling the NF website and wanted to know what the Long range hunters prefer and why .

Thanks

P.S.
My primary use will be to dial in the range that I just lasered and go from there..not so much mil ranging and holding over for bullet drop.

Thanks

If you are going to dial, it really doesn't matter. I've used the NP-R2 and NP-R1. I own 2 of the NP-R1's, I normally use the moa hash marks for hold over. With my 338AM, I can hold directly with no dialing from 200yds to a little more than 1500yds. Both of my NF-NXS are 3.5x15x50

AJ

I have a few NF's. For hunting, go with the NP-R1. I dial almost all of my LR shots. I used to use the NP-R2...figured the 2 moa vertical hashmarks were all I needed. Probably was all that I needed.

BUT!!!! The 2MOA vs 5MOA hash marks in the horizontal crosshair is awsome!! I used to have a wind chart on my scope that doped the wind from 300 to 1500 yards with 5, 10, 15, 20 ,25, and 30 MPH speeds. It read in inches and feet. Now, I substitute in MOA ....just dial up and hold left or right the correct amount. My first practiacal shot using the retical was a yote at 805 yards.....fairly stiff cross. I doped 4.4 MOA wind, held a touch past the second hash mark, and POOF.....no more yote!!!

Now, I needed to be on 22X for this to work (or 11 x and hold to the first hash mark). That is the only draw back. Some guys are good at judging feet and inches. I am not.........you get to those shots that require 10 feet or more of hold off and I fall apart. Say an 1100 yard shot with an 8moa wind...it is way easier to simply hold to the forth hashmark than to judge what 88 inches is.

Just my .02. AND.....if buying new, spend the $$$ get the speed dials and the Zstop!! Or find a good deal on a used one.

I buy all of my new stuff from Bill Shehane at D & B supply. He will set you up. Or, find a sponser from this website and support him.

Good luck

if you're not getting a velocity then get the NP-R1. i've just sold all my R1's to get velocities and loving them.

I have a few NF's. For hunting, go with the NP-R1. I dial almost all of my LR shots. I used to use the NP-R2...figured the 2 moa vertical hashmarks were all I needed. Probably was all that I needed.

BUT!!!! The 2MOA vs 5MOA hash marks in the horizontal crosshair is awsome!! I used to have a wind chart on my scope that doped the wind from 300 to 1500 yards with 5, 10, 15, 20 ,25, and 30 MPH speeds. It read in inches and feet. Now, I substitute in MOA ....just dial up and hold left or right the correct amount. My first practiacal shot using the retical was a yote at 805 yards.....fairly stiff cross. I doped 4.4 MOA wind, held a touch past the second hash mark, and POOF.....no more yote!!!

Now, I needed to be on 22X for this to work (or 11 x and hold to the first hash mark). That is the only draw back. Some guys are good at judging feet and inches. I am not.........you get to those shots that require 10 feet or more of hold off and I fall apart. Say an 1100 yard shot with an 8moa wind...it is way easier to simply hold to the forth hashmark than to judge what 88 inches is.

Just my .02. AND.....if buying new, spend the $$$ get the speed dials and the Zstop!! Or find a good deal on a used one.

I buy all of my new stuff from Bill Shehane at D & B supply. He will set you up. Or, find a sponser from this website and support him.

Good luck

Thanks for the insight!

For the velocity 1000 retical owners out there , how do you shoot at ranges over 1000?

Why did you guys who own the 5.5-22 or the 8-32 NSX go for that power of scope...I plan on laser ranging almost ALL of my targets to shoot at so do you think the 8-32 might be better used for long range say out to 1500-1700 yards if im just laser then dial in the moa drop and use the main crosshair intersection kinda guy?

also for that matter do you think 22 power is high enough magnification for 1500 yard elk shots??

Im really stuck between the 5.5-22 and the 8-32 NSX wit the NP-R1 ZS x56....

The 22 has 35 more MOA of adjustment for elevation than the 32 has. That is the reason I chose the 22. The second and maybe as important aspect is there are a lot of times that you cant use the full 32 power without getting so much mirage it hurts more than helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.