Nightforce MLR

dbhostler

Been thinking of having a 2RR replaced with a MLR at Nightforce, anyone have any experience with their work, any problems or comments? This work would be on a 8-32X56 NXS.

db

It is a good looking reticle. the only draw back to it that I can think of would be that to use it properly you need to learn how to use a Mil style reticle. I have sold several people MLR, Mil Dot, and TMR reticles, all basically the same thing, and so far I only know of one person who actually uses the reticle in any real way. And he is a sheriff sniper.

Be honest with yourself and figure out if you are really gonna learn to use the mil's correctly. If so then it will be a great one for ya. If not then I would say go with the NPR-2 reticle, it is MOA based and since most all of us think in MOA's anyway I love it. It is very easy to judge misses with this reticle as well as use it for drop compensation as opposed to click adjustments.

I guess what i am saying is most of us think in MOA's anyway so by going with a MOA based scope you eliminate the need to convert to mil's. besides I aint that good at math so the MOA reticle works best for me.

take it easy
steve

Thanks for the info. I too think in MOA most of the time. The thing I don't like about the R2 is the elevation is in 2 MOA and windage is in 5 MOA. You would think the elevation would at least be graduated in 1 MOA. This could make a difference when you really get out there. I usually don't like adjusting my scope and would rather hold over on a mark if I can get a good range reading, that's why the change, the 1RR dots are 4 MOA apart. Too far for me.
db

I believe that NF now has a reticle that has 1 moa spacing and 2 moa for windage, NP-R1.

Wayne aka WAMBO

Yeah I think you're right, although I haven't seen it on their web page. I already have a MLR in another NXS and would like to limit my level of confusion, ( I'm over 55 ). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I'm just concerned that there could be a problem if I send it in.
db

When we first picked up the NF line and started selling them I heard how popular the NPR-2 reticle was. I also didnt like the idea of the elevation being in 2moa increments but after using it I can say it is not a big deal. Honestly how hard is to find the middle point inbetween two lines?? This point is 1 moa so it really isnt a handicap at all. The horizontal MOA's i would rather have in 2 moa increments though. The 5 MOA marks are definantly kind of a pain and I would rather have them closer.

THe NPR-1 reticle does have 2moa horizontal brackets but it also has 1moa verticle brackets. My only concern with this is that it may be a little too busy, kinda like the mlr or tmr reticles. I would just have to look through one to tell.

As for sending the scope in for the change I wouldnt have any worries about it. I have heard very good things about their customer service

steve

Let me ask you this, if an R1 is spaced in MOA wouldn't that be a bit crowded the farther out you go? I know the size of the reticle doesn't change in the NXS but the value does depending on the magnification.

250_reticle_npr2.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
This could make a difference when you really get out there. I usually don't like adjusting my scope and would rather hold over on a mark if I can get a good range reading, that's

[/ QUOTE ]

Accurate ranging is trivial with a rangefinder.
I too hate setting the elevation <font color="red"> MORE THAN 1 MOA</font> - but with the <font color="red"> NP-R2 </font> at most you need to adjust <font color="red"> AT MOST</font> 1 MOA. Note also with ten 2 MOA lines you get 20 MOA holdover. With 1 MOA lines you only get 10 MOA holdover. I have a 90 MOA precant rail, so I can set the 500 yard zero at 10 MOA <font color="red"> HOLD UNDER </font> - giving me a <font color="red"> FULL 30 MOA ADJUSTMENT with no turret changes </font>
Note NF implies you can easily interpolate 1 MOA between the hashes.

No, not setting the elevation with the 1/4 MOA makes a GINORMOUS difference once you get out there. Consider at 1000 yards .5 MOA error is 5 inches. (That's why for ultra long range I go for my NF 8-32x56 BR with <font color="red"> NP-R2 </font> - it has 1/8 MOA adjustments <font color="red"> AND </font> finger adjustable illumination.

From NF
The <font color="red"> NP-R2 </font> reticle is a versatile reticle for field tactical, varmint, long range and benchrest applications.

Designed for shooters, <font color="red"> NP-R2 </font> provides exact hold points for windage and bullet drop as well as multiple zero points.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS:

The Nightforce <font color="red"> NP-R2 </font> is a performance-proven reticle designed specifically to enhance a shooter's long range accuracy and ranging capabilities under a variety of field conditions. Each Nightforce <font color="red"> NP-R2 </font> reticle is calibrated at a specified magnification. This enables the shooter to accurately range a target, utilize multiple zero points and select from numerous hold points to compensate for both windage and bullet drop. In addition, the Nightforce <font color="red"> NP-R2 </font> reticle is etched on precision multi-coated compound glass. This ensures exact alignment and eliminates breakage. Due to Nightforce's illumination technology, the glass etched reticle glows red and can be illuminated at different intensities. This technology ensures excellent reticle contrast in low light when illuminated or a well-defined black reticle when not illuminated. In addition, the fine line subtension (area of target covered) makes this reticle ideal for long range applications. Using the latest advancements in etching the shooter is guaranteed consistent spacings and therefore accurate range estimation.

What makes the Nightforce <font color="red"> NP-R2 </font> reticle truly unique. The vertical line of the NP-R2 reticle is divided into 2 M.O.A. increments (approx. 2 inches at 100 yards). These vertical increments are used for range estimation, multiple zero points and accurate bullet drop compensation. Any size target can be easily ranged using a simple formula: (target size in inches ÷ M.O.A. x 100 = range in yards). Once range is determined select an appropriate hold point based on the bullet drop of your cartridge. The vertical spacings can easily be split into 1 M.O.A. increments further enhancing long range accuracy. The horizontal line is divided into equal 5 M.O.A. increments for windage compensation.

Hey, thanks for your post. Guess you're sold on the R2. Would you even consider an R1? I have shot a 7 RUM with a R2, but at short range like 400 yds I would prefer something a little finer for pinpoint accuracy without dialing in. By the way, I should have made this clear from the beginning few posts, I'm talking one shot, not paper punching.
db

&gt;&gt;Would you even consider an R1? I have shot a 7 RUM with a R2, but at short range like 400 yds I would prefer something a little finer for pinpoint accuracy without dialing in.

I agree, unless you're shooting 1K + yards, a one MOA division would be better. But looking at the NF Reticules page, I don't see a one MOA version of the <font color="red"> NP-R2 </font>

Lerch will know if you can get something with one MOA divisions.

NF is coming out with a new reticle that has the veritical stadia based in 1moa incrememnts. IT would be nice for 800yds and in shooting but for extreme range shooting I think it will get a little cluttered. I dont think the 1moa vertical increments will be that much of a improvement, however the horizontal stadia will be based in 2moa increments so that would be a improvement. The reticle will be called NPR-1.

On the NPR-2 it is very easy to discern between 1moa and 2moa on the verticle stadia. the horizontal one is kind of a bitch sometimes

steve

lerch, you are correct, the R1 is one MOA vert. and two MOA horiz. according to Ken at Lightforce, and available now. To change a reticle out is $120 with a 4-5 day turn around. I think 2 MOA would be better than 5 MOA on the horiz. Further, with the MLR, 1 mil is smaller than 5 MOA.
db

I definantly like the 2moa horizontal better, i just think the 1moa vertical will be a little crowded for long range shots. Ideally i would like to see a 2moa vertical and horizontal scope.

If you get her changed take some pics of the reticle so we can all see.

take it easy
steve

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.