Nightforce MLR

Dbhostler,

I have a NF with the MLR reticle and another due in on a new rifle any day now. Like Lerch said, few people use it the way it was designed to be used. I am one of those who don't, but I like it anyway. For the way I shoot long range the MLR, NPR-1 or -2 would work for me.

I do not use the reticle to rangefind, I have a rangefinder for that. I shoot my rifle out to 600 yards using the reticle to compensate for elevation. That way I have actual range data.

For normal hunting situations I will simply dial up the elevation or windage. Out to 600 yards if things are happening too fast to dial up I rely on the reticle. Past 600 yards if things are happening too fast to dial up......then things are happening too fast for me to shoot.

Once I started dialing in elevation and windage, the "old" way just seems way too imprecise to me. I know others preferr mil-dots or other ranging reticles and I am sure many of them (maybe most) can outshoot me. But for me, dial in is "it" ranging reticles are just for backup. Just my opinion /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I must agree, I don't use any reticle to range. Furthermore I don't like making scope adjustments unless I'm target shooting. I would rather use the RF to determine the actual distance, pick the corresponding mark, breath and squeeze. But that's just me where I live and hunt.
May have to try the R1 just to compare with the MLR.
db

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.