Nightforce Direct Mount

MDP

Well after stumbling across this site about three months ago I have spent many hours trawling through articles and past threads learning as much as possible. I must say that I have never come across a site with such a huge amount of in depth info on longrange shooting and hunting in general.
I finally made up my mind and ordered my first rong range hunting rig. I chose a 338 edge made by Shawn Carlock from Defensive Edge.
Anyway after talking to Shawn he recommended that I put a nightforce direct mount on this rifle. Now I don't know alot about this mounting system versus the picatinny rail and rings setup and was wondering if anybody had experience with the direct mount. I am also planning to install an angle cosign indicator and one of the anti cant bubble levels. Would this be a problem? I am worried that there would not be much leeway to play with when mounting the scope. I am planning to install a NXS 5.5-22x56 scope.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Matt

Here is a photo of the NF Direct Mount. If this is the mount you are talking about then NO you will not be able to add the ADIMT (Angle Degree Indicator) nor a bubble level.
mountsdirectmountL.jpg

Also I would recommend getting the 50mm over the 56mm because you will not really notice the difference.

The average size of a human's eye pupil at night is 7 mm and in daylight it is about 4mm on average. If the optic give you a 7mm of exit pupil and you are using it for day use more than half the light will not reach the retina. I have also noticed if you are getting too much light and you look away you see light spots were ever you look and the targets look washedout. On a lot of my scopes I use a light reducer so I do not get the light spots and the washout is not there.

Size of bell divided by magnification = exitpupil. Hare are some examples.
56/22x=2.54mm
56/5.5x=10.18mm

50/22x=2.27mm
50/5.5x=9.09mm

The sweet spots for the 56 and the 50mm at Night and Day use.

50/7.14x = 7mm night use and for day use 50/12.5x = 4mm
56/8x = 7mm night use and for day use 56/14x = 4mm

You are really not get much advantage over the 50mm. I feel there is a bigger disadvantage and that is you have to go with tall rings 1.00" at the low to 1.25" were the 50mm you can do 0.885".

Hope this helps.

Mike @ CSGW

www.csgunworks.com
[email protected]

Here's some testimonials about CS GunWorks
FEEDBACK about CSGUNWORKS on AR15.com
FEEDBACK about CSGUNWORKS on Snipersparadise
FEEDBACK about CSGUNWORKS on the HIDE

Actually, both the angle/cosine indicator and the bubble can be mounted directly to the scope.

If Shawn is recommending a particular mounting system, I'm sure it is top notch. I looked for a picture that showed the scope mounted accessories (angle and bubble) but couldn't find it (there are pictures of rifles with those on them, on this site).

I have a one piece mounting system similar to the NF for my Savage and it works great.

AJ

The Sinclair International bubble levels mount directly to the scope tube and come in 1 inch and 30 mm straight and offset. I use the offset because I find it easier to see from behind the scope. The cosine indicator from Sniper Tools can be mounted to the scope tube with a Weaver low ring. Nice job on jumping right in!

Thanks for the help guys .

MDP is out of range again now for a month as he is a pearl diver in 1 of Australia's most remote regions and wont be back in for a while but he would apprecieate all the comments.

Thanks guys

JAWZ

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.