Night Force NXS and the G7?

RangerBrad

After looking at these 2 scopes they appear identical except the G7 has more features with the hunter in mind (low profile windage, wind correction increments on the horizontal and quick range increments on the verticle) With both being the same price it appears to me the G7 is the better buy. What are yals thoughts on these 2 scopes? Thank's, Brad

I just looked at both scopes and decided on the NXS. The G7 is a Nightforce scope with some mods for G7. I decided that the reason to go to a scope like the NXS or G7 was to be able to dial in the range and windage factors and hold dead on with the crosshairs so I didn't think I needed the extra stuff on the riticle. I bought the NP-R1 reticle which has MOA incriments on the crosshairs. If I need to make a quick Kentucky windage adjustment the MOA marks will work fine. I also like the large profile windage know for the same reason. I just dial in the wind and hold dead center. Another difference is the fact that the reticle on the G7 is on the second plane instead of the first and I wasn't sure how I would like that.

2nd focal plane means that the spacing on the reticle(take the NP-R1 for example) will only be correct on 22x for the 5.5-22. on a fist focal plane the reticle changes size as you go through the power range so the moa spacing remains constant through the power range.

the first focal plane also cost quite a bit more. so if you paid close to the same price for a nightforce as you would a g7 you got the 2nd focal plane.

hope that makes a little sense

Lovda, If I'm understanding you, your saying that the diff on 1st and 2nd focal plane on the g7 is that the bullet drop bars in the reticle are only accurate at full 22 power? Brad

On the G7 site it claims it is on 2nd plane so it will change with magnifacation to allow for ranging and windage on reticle as you change magnification. Sounds like a plus to me. Brad

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.