Vortex Viper vs. Night Force NXS?

RangerBrad

What do yal think of these 2 scopes? The right ups on both are good but the price diffrence is huge. I will soon be putting a new long range scope on my 25-06 to be shifted to a 300 win mag at a later date and am hunting a suitable scope. Thank's, Brad

Which viper are you refering to? Standard, hs, hslr, or pst?

The hslr and pst make great longrange scopes on a budget. I don't think anything comes close to the value they offer. However the nxs is a step above and the only competitive vortex woould be the razor hd.

I have a Vortex and 2 Nightforces, the Vortex is an awesome scope but is no comparison to the Nightforce, as mentioned the Razors may be closer but I haven't tried one. A good compromise is the Sightron SIII 8-32x50 or 56 can be had for just under 800 bucks and that'll be the closest you get to a Nightforce for less than a grand.

The Vortex Razor is better IMO, than the nxs. The PST vortex is close but no cigar on glass. Nice reticle selection on it tho. There's a reason the NF is over 1100, as is the Vortex Razor. They are higher end scopes period. If it's a Viper, or viper HS that you are speaking of, then no, it's not in the same class as the Nightforce.

To me its a no brainer. Go with the NSK and don't look back. They are great scopes. Awesome glass built to the point that you can use it as a hammer in an emergency;) they come with an illuminated reticle standard and made in the USA. As I said no brainer. Before people jump all over me perhaps the vortex has some of these but not all in my opinion. I don't have a razor I do have other vortex scopes though that I can make the comparison.

I shot a Vortex PST 4-14 and an NXS 5.5-20 last Friday, side by side, at 800+ yards. As much as I like the Vortex price, their great reticle design and other functions, I do not think the two scopes are comparable, the NF is simply that much better. I even made the comment to my shooting buddy that we should just sell everything we got, keep have two rifles and two NF scopes and be done with the rest!

The Vortex Viper is a good starter scope if that is all you can afford. The Night Force is a very good scope with good glass & great mechanics. For a GREAT scope prices jump over $3,000. The issue is knowing what you can afford, knowing what features matter for your application, and finding the best scope FOR YOU. The tendency is to believe that we all need "the best there is", which is why so many of us (myself included) overspend. Figure out what YOU need, want, can justify, and can pay for — then go get it.

I'm talking about the Vortex viper hs, o the concensus is NF. Is there a reason to chose the NXS over the G7? from what I see they are identical with the exception of low profile windage knob, wind and distance adjustment on reticle. To me it seems the G7 is the better scope at the same price. Yals thoughts please. Thank's, Brad

Both are great scopes. I have the Vortex PST and love it. Do I think Vortex compares to Nightforce. NO WAY but for the money I have been very happy with the Vortex. The old saying you get what you pay for. My IMO buy as much scope as you can afford. Whether its the Vortex or Nightforce.

I have played with the 1-4pst, nice little scope, I would like to get my hands on a higher magnification model. I have used multiple NXS's and they are awesome, but in my opinion, not worth the cost a new one would run. I would definately pick one up used. I have a 6-24 sightron SIII LRMDCM and it is flat out awesome. Head to head against a friends NXS the glass was so close we couldnt tell what was better. Now as I have said before if my life depended on it, I would probably go with the NXS, but until that situation arises I will continue to use Sightron SIII. You should definately look into them.

I have owned both the Nightforce NXS and a Viper PST. Both are good at what they do. My big Allen Mag thumper still wears the NXS. That rifle sits in a McMillan A5 stock and is an 11.5 lb. rifle w/o the scope. It handles the heavier weight of the NXS very well. My 6.5-06 AI is a 9 lb. rifle stocked in a Manners carbon ultralight. Initially, it had an NXS, but was just too "top heavy". It did not balance well in hand or on the bags. Sold that NXS and put on the Sightron SIII. Very pleased so far.

The PST and the Sightron are not in the same class as the NXS. But they may be a better choice for your rifle depending on your rifle's weight and design of the stock.

I have both as much as I wish I could afford a 2000.00 NF on every rifle I have the fact is I cant r as already said sell some guns and that's not happening. As it is I have 3-NXS planning for #4 here soon and 2 - viper pst and 3 - vipers. That said the viper pst are a lot of scope for the money 750.00 having some kind of zero stop for me is a most on all my hunting rifle now a days and the viper is as for as I can tell is the best for the money as i'm buying another one today.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.