Nickel Plated Brass

I have reloaded a bunch of 25-06 nickel brass. It sure seems to take a lot more pressure to resize it so I could see where it might be harder on the dies?

I've used it in 7mm-08 for 30 or 35 years and had no issues. When it starts to loose some plating I toss it. Started using Federal in 308 win and resized it.

Now I used some Federal but mostly Winchester.

Nope, no issues with the dies or chamber due to flaking.

Have Win 280 Rem NPB. Fire formed to 280 AI, anneal each reload w/ AMP... have 10 reloads now. No issues w/ brass or REDDING dies.

I've been hearing that for years, but have never had any issues, I started reloading over 50 years ago, I have never had any problems, 17 Remington thru 375 H&H, 13 different calibers come from a large family of hunters shooters I do all the reloading, nickel is harder than brass but softer thsn sizing dies, they require a little more effort than but if the case's are properly cleaned and lubed you are good to go,

If nickel plated was all I could get I'd use it. As long as I could get normal brass that would be my preference.

Oops! I guess I have had bad karma! I have had nickel plated (Federal as I recall) flake off inside my die and scratch it. After damaging a couple more cases, I realized what was going on. Took the die apart. Took it to work and polished it out. I have tried to pay more attention sense then to the plated cases before sizing.
I use carbide dies for pistol and never had a problem. I do inspect them as well now for flaking plating.
Like I said, I may have just had bad karma. LOL!

Hmmmm. Remember that story when I was a kid and had to throw away nickel brass. Never had a problem with it for last 35+ years when I moved out of house.

Recent Posts