Plate thickness?

hey just a thought with those railway plates. i did that the other day and shot the plates at 300m with my .308. i didnt just get craters, got perfect holes right through. i would suggest not shooting at them under 600m if your using something more powerful. i think at 600 my 308 would still put deciend dents in the plates

I will be using them at 400-1000 yds. I guess that leaves out the RR plates.Maybe not.

How high off the ground should the plate be? Say a 14"X14" plate.

Last edited:
Foreign

Was your Rail Road Plate Cast Iron or an Steel Plate ?

What Kind of bullet were you using ?

Was you using Full Metal Jacket Bullets ?

I have Shoot the Rail Road Plates For Years an I have never Shoot an Hole though Them .

I shoot 308 , 7 mag ,7 MM STW .

Was your Rail Road Plate Cast Iron or an Steel Plate ?

The big 132 lb steel tie plates are soft steel. If they weren't, they would break in bitterly cold weather under the weight of todays unit trains. I tried one a couple of years ago and the 7 RUM bullet almost went through it at 400 yds. There are better choices for the heavy hitters.
db

hey redbone im not sure if it was casted iron or not. i was using a hornady btsp. 150 gr. going around 2800.maybe the plates here in nz are different to the ones you get there. looking at dbhostlers post and the plates here are defintly not 132lb. maybe 32 lb or less. there about 9*18 "

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.