newbie q's

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by outdooraddict, Sep 9, 2008.

1. outdooraddict

outdooraddict Well-Known Member

O K with not being able to find federal primers what is the next best primer? I have a 300 rum. also do you crimp and how do you set your dies to do so? I have rcbs dies full lenghth and neck for sizing I am using 200gr accubonds and retumbo.

2. ol mike

ol mike Well-Known Member

I've used cci primers w/ good luck .

You need to have a crimping die -you'll not likely find many people crimping ammo here.
    Just neck size your brass after shooting and you'll be fine.

3. Longshot38

Longshot38 Well-Known Member

I also use CCI primers with good success. Truth be told I have always used them instead of Federal and they have always worked great for me.

As for crimping. I have a crimp die for every caliber I reload for. I use the Lee Factory crimp dies, it is the only way to crimp. I manage to shoot under 1/2 moa with this crimping method and I don't hesitate to recommend it.

4. britz

britz Well-Known Member

as mike said, most here don't crimp. RCBS bullet seating dies are crimping dies - years ago, I had very bad luck w/ crimping that they are hard to set right if you are new at it. The others are probably right that a crimping die is the way to go.

5. AJ Peacock

AJ Peacock Well-Known Member

CCI 250's work well for the 300RUM

Here is a little webpage that is always interesting when comparing primers.
    Primer Testing Reference

Sometimes hotter isn't better, sometimes it is; depends on the cartridge and the load.

AJ