Newbie reloader question

Is crimping even necessary with such a long bullet?
I use the TTSX in my .243 without crimping and they shoot very well. Assuming you are using them for hunting (I've never heard of any one using them for competition), I think you'll be OK with no crimp if you have proper neck tension.

What's to close to the lands in "inches? I know I don't want a jam in the field while hunting. I suppose I could just sacrifice a bullet without primer and powder and play around with it in my gun.
It's in thousandth s not inches! About .0020 is a good starting point but is different for most bullet styles. You will only find this necessary to not hit the lands...or more necessary when you use the longer heavier bullets. Look at the COAL in your books...and watch YOU TUBE!

From Barnes Bullets:

"An exclusive feature of the TSX Bullet is multiple, precisely engineered rings cut into the bullet shank. These grooved rings act as relief valves as bullet metal flows under pressure while traveling down the bore. Instead of flowing from the front to the base of the bullet, the copper material expands into the grooves. This results in reduced pressures and less copper fouling. Reduced pressures mean the bullet can be safely loaded to higher velocities. The rings also alter barrel harmonics, greatly improving accuracy."

Seat them where they shoot best!
Well done!