Newbie at 500 yards. Need help.

So I finally made it back out last weekend. I was able to range out to 305 yards and have a good flat shot. I was able to shoot a 3 shot group at 2.8". I measured the group with my calipers. So, I took some notes on MOA adjustment and all that jazz. I will continue to venture forward. However, it has proven out that my rangefinder definitely needs replacement as it struggles at 400 yards plus. Thanks for all the replies and info. Just out of curiosity though, how accurate do you folks find the ballistic charts on line for elevation adjustments? Are they always dead nuts? Or do they just get you in the ballpark? Thanks again.

nothing is going to be perfect on line unless it matches your bullet and all info. At 500 yards or less nothing is going to make a huge difference except fps. Your bc should be a given so if you are short your fps maybe slower. If you shot at 300 where was your group compared to center.

P.S. Do your load development at 200 or 300 yards not 100 it will give you a better idea of the long range ability of your rifle and load.

Thanks for the response. My group was about 2" high at 305 yards. I don't have my notes in front of me but, I think was dialed at 4 MOA which is a touch high. I'm still working through it but will continue to take notes and compare with what others are doing. I wish it was cooler outside cause you gotta shoot early morning. The afternoons are smokin'!! Thanks again

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.