Newbe

My reply may sound more like a dodge than an actual answer but I'm completely serious.

In the last 20 years we've had an explosion of absolutely top quality barrel makers in this country to the point it's actually hard to find a bad one.

Most smiths have one or two companies they are most familiar with and like to work with and since it's they who are responsible for putting it all together to produce a rifle you and they will be proud of I lean towards following their advice. If they give me an answer that I find seriously troubling on one level or another, I'll take my project elsewhere.
Thank you for the input Sir
I've had a 721 in 30.06 for years. Was my wife's grandfather's. Original everything sporter. My first 3 rounds were almost one hole @ 95 yds.(max where I was).
BUT, it was very painful...
I padded the stock, recoil pad added later, and still miserable.
Finally restocked it (partially inletted Bishop stock). Shaped down and finish-fitted myself. Bedded action and 1.5" of chamber area.
Now can shoot it ALL DAY! No recoil pad.
Heard many similar stories, too.
Keep this in mind on your budget.
That's my problem the dang thing kick's like a mule, don't even know what the 721 is capable of as I've only put 9 rounds through it, to sight in my scope at a 100 got a little less than 3/4 group.

I would check into COAL requirements for your intended projectile, what your rifle will reliably feed and then check manufacturers recommendations for the twist rate required by your intended projectile and go from there. 7.5 seems fast...but I lick windows...either way I think your in for some fun.

Monolithic bullets need speed to properly open up, and I bet .270 will get you there for sure!

Thank you for the input Sir

That's my problem the dang thing kick's like a mule, don't even know what the 721 is capable of as I've only put 9 rounds through it, to sight in my scope at a 100 got a little less than 3/4 group.
That kick may have more to do with the stock, butt pad, or even your own technique in mounting the rifle and controlling the recoil.

Even with the more punishing rounds putting a good recoil pad on, then really pulling it in tight to your shoulder and allowing your body to absorb the recoil rather than fighting it can make a huge difference.

I shoot an extremely light .375Rug that will flat knock the snot out of you shot after shot if you don't mount it properly and allow your body to absorb the recoil.

The problem is the natural tendency when recoil is beating you up is to back away from the rifle which only gives it more acceleration to pound you with.

Stock Geometry can also cause some issues with how you feel recoil so you might want to have someone with a bit more experience give it a look and maybe observe your technique behind the rifle.

Welcome aboard from SE PA! My first bolt gun was a Remington 700 BDL .270 it needs a new barrel. My plan is to use a 1:8 twist.
It wears a Hogue over mold stock, action has been trued, squared, barrel crowned, the Kwik clip system installed and a Leupold VXlll 2.5x8 scope.

I don't know much, but I do know that the first rifle I ever reloaded for was a .270, and had good results overall. That said, I ran into an issue I'd love input on regarding twist rate, and maybe the responses will help you.

I live in California and non-lead is a thing. With regard to that I found that companies like cutting edge bullets and hammer have offerings in the 100 to 150 grain range if I recall correctly. Weight wise this is fine in .270, I think my grandad's favorite was a 145 grain projectile. That said lighter material makes for longer bullets, longer bullets need faster twist rates to stabilizer them. In my experience I had to stick to lighter bullets, I bought some 130's and the barrel (factory 1:10") wouldn't stabilize them.

I think, from my limited experience and overall lack of brain capacity, that there's a new realm to explore with some of these old standby caliber's. Re-barreled in a 1:9" or possibly faster and shooting monometal projectiles could bring the .270's speed to bear in a nice way.

Thoughts from those who know?
The downfall of many a great cartridge developed in the last century was slow twist barrels.

With the advancements in projectiles and powders alone paired with faster twist barrels a whole lot of new life can be breathed back into old, orphaned and "obsolete" cartridges.

Unfortunately though they will remain a niche market and an ever smaller portion of the total market as the newer, faster, cooler, and zippier sounding named cartridges continue gobbling up more and more of it.

If you're going to do one of these projects just be sure and lay in a lifetime supply of brass as quickly as you reasonably can afford to do so or it's going to only get harder to find and more expensive when you do.

The downfall of many a great cartridge developed in the last century was slow twist barrels.

With the advancements in projectiles and powders alone paired with faster twist barrels a whole lot of new life can be breathed back into old, orphaned and "obsolete" cartridges.

Unfortunately though they will remain a niche market and an ever smaller portion of the total market as the newer, faster, cooler, and zippier sounding named cartridges continue gobbling up more and more of it.

If you're going to do one of these projects just be sure and lay in a lifetime supply of brass as quickly as you reasonably can afford to do so or it's going to only get harder to find and more expensive when you do.
I wonder about the viability of a company that assembles custom rifles and blends new technology with long standing legacy cartridges.

Sporter Prefits in .270 w/1:8". 22-250 or even 6.5x55 swede is another that comes to mind.

Build rifles that put a sparkling twist on grandpa's old pet loads. Imagine being able to walk into the local gun shop and sift thru the bins of brass again...

I'm still building a 26/28 nosler though...;)

I wonder about the viability of a company that assembles custom rifles and blends new technology with long standing legacy cartridges.

Sporter Prefits in .270 w/1:8". 22-250 or even 6.5x55 swede is another that comes to mind.

Build rifles that put a sparkling twist on grandpa's old pet loads. Imagine being able to walk into the local gun shop and sift thru the bins of brass again...

If you can build a following and get great word of mouth advertising they can certainly be profitable but it's a small market.

My next 6.5 will be simple, I'll just neck down the 300PRC.

The 6.5LRM is amazing but, it's a pain to get brass for. I'll probably just buy another 200-300 Rounds of 7LRM brass and shoot it sparingly and make most of my new memories with the 6.5-300PRC.

Heck I've emailed savage about the possibility of them just offering a plain vanilla 111 or even axis in 270 win with an 8 twist. No response. Not a bad idea but will be a niche market for sure.

I would check into COAL requirements for your intended projectile, what your rifle will reliably feed and then check manufacturers recommendations for the twist rate required by your intended projectile and go from there. 7.5 seems fast...but I lick windows...either way I think your in for some fun.

Monolithic bullets need speed to properly open up, and I bet .270 will get you there for sure!
This is incorrect