Newbe

And I myself haven't used mine much in a few years but have done a bunch of handloading for a .270, it was my first rifle and will always have a special place for me. But my experience is with stock factory rifles with standard 10 twists. I don't know how much experience you have or if you even handload: if you do and you're less experienced (again, I don't know) the only bits of advice I have are

a) of the standard/cheaper brass manufacturers I think Winchester is the best, it's roomier and has tougher primer pockets than the others…for premium brass Peterson does make .270 brass now, don't know how attainable it is.

B) you can use significantly slower burn rate powders than many reloading sources traditionally prescribe for the 270 - even out of my 22 inch barrel I've had awesome results with compressed loads of 7828 and rl25, neither of which are likely suggestions according to many. I don't use anything faster than Rl22/23 or 4831 anymore. And the idea that shorter barrels will produce faster velocity with different burn rates than what yields maximum velocity in longer barrels had been thoroughly debunked!

Again, welcome here and long live the .270 Winchester, the original long range "gateway cartridge" for many and to my mind the most deserving recipient of "the standard cartridge that doesn't know it's not a magnum" award haha

Pick any of the top ten barrel manufacturers and you won't make a mistake.

Best advice is go ahead and pick a smith to do the work and ask them for a recommendation. Many of them have deals set up with one or more manufacturer and can get them faster and for less than you can.

Welcome Eric, from one who has posted little but learned much on the forum.

I agree with WildRose. Within the past 10 years I've had rifles rebarreled with Lilja, Proof Research, Bartlein, and Pac Nor. In each case I took the advice of my gunsmith and have been very happy with the results.

The Lilja is a real standout. It is a 3 groove in 6.5 PRC on a Kimber Montana, and it shoots everything I put in it into little tiny clusters. Shawn Williams of North Ridge Rifles did the smithing and deserves much of the credit for this accuracy standout.

"Honest real world 🌎 shooter" vs .....the rest of us being Virtual reality shooters?😉
Welcome to the site Eric!
Hahaha didn't mean any offence to anyone else but I meant he's no nonsense and more accessible to people like me who also aren't frequently shooting sub quarter moa groups with bone-stock sporter factory rifles in field positions…just find him especially relatable and trustworthy in the things he posts, not that others are fictitious or off in la-la land. Carry on!

I've had a 721 in 30.06 for years. Was my wife's grandfather's. Original everything sporter. My first 3 rounds were almost one hole @ 95 yds.(max where I was).
BUT, it was very painful...
I padded the stock, recoil pad added later, and still miserable.
Finally restocked it (partially inletted Bishop stock). Shaped down and finish-fitted myself. Bedded action and 1.5" of chamber area.
Now can shoot it ALL DAY! No recoil pad.
Heard many similar stories, too.
Keep this in mind on your budget.

Hey Gentleman I am new to LRH. And am looking for recommendations for rebarreling A Remington 721 I just aquired to 270 . Any input as brand and twist rate , good accuracy a must but won't brack the bank.
Thanks ahead of time from a registered coon-***! 😎
Welcome! Glad to see another that understands the .270 is by far the best cartridge out there🤣! Feel free to give shout once you have enough posts for PM. You can also search LRH for .270 Thors Hammer for fun.

Lots of great LRH folks that have far more experience than I do in many ways but will help as much as I can. Have fun on LRH and strongly suggest hide your CC's since you will be going down the rifle build rabbit hole for sure.

Welcome, Glad to have you !! No shortage of opinions here , and you will have lots of help to help you spend money. There are many 270 Win ; 270 W Short mag, and 270 Weatherby Mag guys here , including me. Remember , its all supposed to be FUN!!!!

I used a 721 with a Hart stainless barrel in 7-06 Ackly as my go to deer and sheep rifle for twenty years. It's a great action with lots of modifications available. About the only new wrinkle in the process nowadays is deciding on what you are going to use it for because you can do so much with it. Personally, my biggest gamble with new builds is choosing which weight of bullet I will be using most. Popular barrel makers are tuning twist rates to the many new weights of bullets available. It can be a tough choice.

I don't know much, but I do know that the first rifle I ever reloaded for was a .270, and had good results overall. That said, I ran into an issue I'd love input on regarding twist rate, and maybe the responses will help you.

I live in California and non-lead is a thing. With regard to that I found that companies like cutting edge bullets and hammer have offerings in the 100 to 150 grain range if I recall correctly. Weight wise this is fine in .270, I think my grandad's favorite was a 145 grain projectile. That said lighter material makes for longer bullets, longer bullets need faster twist rates to stabilizer them. In my experience I had to stick to lighter bullets, I bought some 130's and the barrel (factory 1:10") wouldn't stabilize them.

I think, from my limited experience and overall lack of brain capacity, that there's a new realm to explore with some of these old standby caliber's. Re-barreled in a 1:9" or possibly faster and shooting monometal projectiles could bring the .270's speed to bear in a nice way.

Thoughts from those who know?

Welcome from TN. I can't help much on the 270, but would recommend checking the recommended twists for the bullets you want to use. Mono's do not have the same issues generally with coming apart in flight as cup and core with fast twists. Faster twist will open up your options.

I don't know much, but I do know that the first rifle I ever reloaded for was a .270, and had good results overall. That said, I ran into an issue I'd love input on regarding twist rate, and maybe the responses will help you.

I live in California and non-lead is a thing. With regard to that I found that companies like cutting edge bullets and hammer have offerings in the 100 to 150 grain range if I recall correctly. Weight wise this is fine in .270, I think my grandad's favorite was a 145 grain projectile. That said lighter material makes for longer bullets, longer bullets need faster twist rates to stabilizer them. In my experience I had to stick to lighter bullets, I bought some 130's and the barrel (factory 1:10") wouldn't stabilize them.

I think, from my limited experience and overall lack of brain capacity, that there's a new realm to explore with some of these old standby caliber's. Re-barreled in a 1:9" or possibly faster and shooting monometal projectiles could bring the .270's speed to bear in a nice way.

Thoughts from those who know?
I was thinking in the 1to 7.5 to 1in 8 twist rate

Recent Posts