New Vortex scopes for 2012

shortpants

VIPER HS LR
Taking a page out of the sniper's handbook, we added first focal plane reticle models to the Viper HS LR series. Perfectly matched with the new XLR long range reticle for 2012.
Available Fall 2012.
6-24x50 FFP: XLR MOA Reticle
4-16x50 FFP: XLR MOA Reticle

I like the 1MOA subtensions windage holds. This use to be offered only in their sfp scopes. Nice scope, I'd like to see one in person.

24MOA per revolution. Each click= .5MOA. Not sure how I feel about this. Nice to have that much on a revolution but not so precise per click. Then again 5" @ 1000 per click not terrible. What do you guys think?

I think the idea with the .5 MOA per click is that guys that buy this scope will be using the reticle to dope windage and elevation so the turret will only be used for the initial zero setting. In that case .5 MOA clicks will work fine.

From a marketing standpoint I would argue that they are missing out on a segment that wants a hash reticle but also wants to use the turrets. I would guess their response would be that they already have that as an option in their PST line. And that is true but the advertised price of the new scope is only $50 less than the PST and the specs are nearly identical so I am not sure why a potential buyer wouldn't just get the PST. Maybe I am missing something though. Maybe in the end the price will be lower enough to make a difference to buyers or maybe their are some specs or features I am not familiar with.

Scot E.

This reticle is a new design and not offered in the pst line as far as I know. The only reticle offered with 1MOA subtensions was the SFP. The new reticle in a pst would have been sufficient.

I also prefer hash over dot reticles.

This reticle is a new design and not offered in the pst line as far as I know. The only reticle offered with 1MOA subtensions was the SFP. The new reticle in a pst would have been sufficient.

I also prefer hash over dot reticles.
The PST has an MOA reticle but I believe what is new about this one is the Christmas tree style reticle in MOA. I think all the other Christmas tree style reticles in the PST line are MIL

I agree, for a $50 difference they should have just added it to the PST line.

Scot E.

that XLR reticle looks interesting but I think they are trying to do too much with it. I don't need 24 minutes on the horizontal hash, I also don't need the christmas tree setup on the bottom, it almost like a very poor attempt to do a horus reticle I do love the 1 moa hashes though but I think they should have ended that at about 10 minutes, then made the rest a heavy bar. I also don't see any need for the christmas tree, if you use the dials you don't need all that, besides its only marked every 4 moa down there, that is a ton of coursness.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts