New to Me 338RUM

NosRX1

Hi Guys I just bought a 338RUM and just looking to get some info on loads that have worked in the past for some of you and loads that are working now. Its in a Remington 700 with a 26" barrel. Thanks.

you could probabaly search it and come up with a few. I've got a few for you though. Of course start low and work up. What barrel contour out of curiousity?
-300 Grain SMK, 94 grains Retumbo (this is getting pretty warm), CCI 250 LR MAG
-210 TTSX, 96.5 grains RL 22, CCI 250 LR MAG

have fun and be safe!

the 300 grain SMK I get around 2765 with that load. I just got back from shooting this morning and tried 225 SSTs with 95 gr H1000 and CCI 250's and shot well under .75 MOA (no measuring tool, but all touching). seem pretty mild but Im gonna stick with it.

I been working on a bunch of different H-1000 loads and here are two I have found are good in my rifle.

88.5 grains H-1000 with a 300gr SMK in a 30" barrel gives me a touch over 2850 FPS.

I also run the 285 Barnes TSX with 89.1 grains of H-1000 with 2857 FPS.

...-300 Grain SMK said:
No kiddin? wow, i've seen a couple posts now with folks running around 94.0grns of Retumbo... my 338RUM shows serious pressure @ 92.5... makes me wonder why mine is so tight? Anywho.. OP, I'm using 90.0grns & A Fed 215M right now for an average of 2780 with the 300SMK... I was able to get 2812 avg w/great accuracy with IMR-7828 altough primer pockets only lasted ~2 loadings, which is why i'm on to Retumbo now.

Outlaw 6.0,
What barrel length is that? Is it a custom rifle? I wounder if haveing a tigher chamber and a longer barrel would give us similar velocities though Im using 4grains more Retumbo (my go to load is 94grain with the 300SMK). I have notice slight primer flatening but very little.

Outlaw 6.0,
What barrel length is that? Is it a custom rifle? I wounder if haveing a tigher chamber and a longer barrel would give us similar velocities though Im using 4grains more Retumbo (my go to load is 94grain with the 300SMK). I have notice slight primer flatening but very little.

Angus, it sits right about 27", custom built Rem 700 yes. There are a few folks using a similar charge of Retumbo as you do, in fact that is where I was thinking of starting... thank god I didn't!!! As I experienced serious pressure at 92.5 (ruined the primer pockets).

What is your OAL? I would bet money that is where the difference lies, I run mine out of AI mags (McRee's chassis) which restricts my OAL by quite a bit.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.