New to LRH site and have a couple questions to see if I amon right track

tsl2nd

Weapon: Christensen Arms chambered in the 300 RUM
Optics: Swaro Z6 BT 2.5x15-56

After reading for sometime now on the site this is what I have come up with as a start point for building my first ammo:

Bullett: 210gr Berger Hunting VDL
Primer: Fed 215 or CCI 250 depending on what I can get
Powder: H1000 or Retumbo

Anyone have any advice or experience with round for this gun? Looking for some powder recomendations the H1000 vs. Retumbo? I have read quite a few threads and from what I gather it may come down to which poweder the weapon likes best. Is there an advantage to one over the other? Hotter or cooler burning?

Thanx

Tommy

I would start with vld 0.010 off the lands or magazine length if you want to use as a repeater. It will just be trial and error as to which powder will work best in your gun. I usually start with 0.3 grain increments of powder. Then use smaller increments on the best group from the 0.3 changes. Be careful and watch for pressure. Good luck. Keep us informed.

Thanx. Did forget to mention that was going to be my starting point off the lands once I figure out total length.

Currently the weapon has standard Remington BDL bottom metal. I hope to be able to remove that and install drop box mag soon hopefully that will accommodate three or more of my ammo once built. If it were to sty as is most likely have to put factory spec round in first and two hand loads on top because of clearances.

Thanx again!

Tommy

Generally speaking, Retumbo is the go-to powder for the 210vld. Although you should test H1000 just to be sure.

In terms of incremental powder charge changes, .3grain changes is too small. For a cartridge that has 89+ grains of capacity, a 1% change is .9grains. So for your initial testing, make 1 grain changes. Start around 88grains and go to 89, 90, 91. Once you find a load that seems like it's working, maybe go to a +/- .5grain change.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-300rum-mcr-70809/

Thanx for the info and the powder suggestion. Will be loading them up and trying them out in the near future.

Tommy

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.