New to long range shooting and new to reloading...

Huntet87

With the statement above in mind, what caliber would you recommend? I'll want the setup to be capable out try 700 or 800 yard shots, though I need allot of trigger time before I can shoot that far confidently. This setup will be intended for Mule deer and elk hunting.

The calibers that catch my eye are, 7mm rem mag, 300 win mag, and 338 win mag. I'm open to less popular calibers since o have got a reloading setup.

With the statement above in mind, what caliber would you recommend? I'll want the setup to be capable out try 700 or 800 yard shots, though I need allot of trigger time before I can shoot that far confidently. This setup will be intended for Mule deer and elk hunting.

The calibers that catch my eye are, 7mm rem mag, 300 win mag, and 338 win mag. I'm open to less popular calibers since o have got a reloading setup.

A belated welcome to LRH ... enjoy!

The .300 WM is my go to chambering from antelope to elk size game up a 1000 yards. Depending on your set-up, load it with 215/230 Berger and you're golden.

Here's a good read on .300 WM and Berger bullets >>> http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/comparing-berger-210-vld-215-hybrid-88657/

This will not happen overnight; take your time and enjoy the learning process.

Good luck and happy safe shooting/hunting.

Cheers!

Ed

Its easy to get confused in this area of shooting. Everyone will have an opinion about calibers. Everyone will argue for their favorite caliber. My advice, pick a caliber that shoots high bc bullets and that delivers 1000 lbs of energy at the the intended distance. A 7 mag or a 300 win mag can accomplish this.

Pick one and shoot it!

If you don't like brakes go with a 7 Mag. Otherwise any will work with a heavy enough bullet. There is a significant increase in recoil by increasing bullet weight based on my recoil slide testing with various calibers.

Thanks for the responses guys. Kind what I thought but wanted to make sure I want missing anything. And I know realize it mostly comes down to preference. Availability will play a large factor for me as well as I shoot left handed and my budget in the foreseeable future keeps me constrained to factory production rifles.

Thanks for the responses guys. Kind what I thought but wanted to make sure I want missing anything. And I know realize it mostly comes down to preference. Availability will play a large factor for me as well as I shoot left handed and my budget in the foreseeable future keeps me constrained to factory production rifles.

When my son-in-law's brother ask about a hunting rifle I suggested Savage in 7 Rem Mag. Since he is not a loader I suggested he pick up some factory ammo with Nosler 160 partitions. He came by with the rifle and a box of 150 Partitions.

We went to the range for me to help him sight it in at 100 yards. The fist three shots were 9/16". We moved the reticle and fired three more. This time the group was 1/2" but needed another adjustment. The third group was even smaller at 7/16". I told him, almost in an order, to go back to the store and get all the other boxes of that same ammo.

His experience is typical of the Savages I have seen.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.