New to long range and have questions

Primed

Planning on purchasing my first long range rifle. I think I have it narrowed down to a remington 700 sps or a savage 10 fp. I read alot of reviews on both and still can't decide, after reading some articles here I will leave it to the people who know best...you. I will be replacing the factory stock with a McMillan A5 so no worries there. The caliber will be a .308, for target/varmint primarily. Any help will be greatly apprecialted. gun)

Both are good foundations to build on. There are alot of aftermarket parts for both out there maybe a few more for the rem. I personaly like the rem over the savage I have owned both. I do not like the bolt on the savage rifle at all just the looks not its function.

I would say the savage cost a bit less to upgrade than the rem does but pound for pound they are on par with one and other in the accury department.

just my opnion of course

Jon

I`m the other way. I prefer the Savages. I play with wildcat and I can change the barrels on the Savages alot easier than the Rem. If you are counting on changeing the stock right away you might comsider buying an action or barreled action and build it from the ground up.

I was thinking about going with a barreled action, however savage seems to only sell the action and its stainless from what I saw on their website. Remington I assume you just buy a used model 700 and go from there since to the best of my knowledge doesn't sell actions only or barreled actions. I have also looked a howa but don't know many others. Any info on the barreled action situatuion would also be great.

for a first why not give the 5R a try.you can put about 1500.00 in one and thats with a scope.a good one at that.and they shoot really good out of the box with factpry ammo.match that is.even when loading for them they get better.and they come in three cals now.223,308 and a 300wm

but if you are wanting a custom for me I would still go remington.and you can still make it a switch out rifel.just have the smith put a set screw in the action to help hold the barrel in place.this way you can remove the barrel without haveing to have an action wrench.but hey these are just my opinions.

Welcome, glad to have you here. Lots of good folks and lots of good info. Either on is a good platform although I prefer the Remy action for any future considerations. Enjoy.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.