New to forum..Need advice on barrel size and length

Kamp34

Well I am new to this forum and is my first post but seems to be a very helpful place for information so I decided to join...

I am having a 7 Ultra Mag built and my question is what size of barrel would yall recommend? I am going to go with a Krieger. My gunsmith was kinda in the air about barrel size. He said he would go with either a 24" #4 or a 26" #3. I just want to make sure I am getting the right barrel for me and my needs and I know very little when it comes to building a rifle. Any advice or info is appreciated. Thanks

I'd do at the very least a 28"

Why would you choose to build a high performance rig and then handicap it with a short barrel? 24" is way to short IMHO.

Magman, thanks for the reply. I was kinda thinking that 24" was too short as well but like I said I'm not as educated as most when it comes to building a rifle. It will be used only for hunting and not for a bench and I think is why my gunsmith recommended going with a little shorter barrel so it's not as bulky.

what are your needs out of this build. where are you going to be carrying it to and from(spot and stalk, stand hunting or a walking rifle) that will help you pick what is right for you instead right for us:rolleyes:

gahlizard, I hunt mainly for whitetail in NW Texas where it is wide open which makes for long range shooting (well long range for me) out to 450yds. I will mainly be in a deer blind so I won't be walking much even though I do so from time to time. But I am also building this gun for future elk hunts, muley hunts or even a canadian whitetail hunt.

Kamp, I'm sorry if my post may have come off as abrasive.

In all reality a deer at 500 yards won't know the difference between a 7mm RUM, STW, Dakota or even the WSM.

If you're looking for a big heavy rig I'd say go with a long barreled RUM.

If you're looking to conserve weight for a mid-weight rifle I'd have no fear in doing a 22-24" 7mm WSM.

At 500 you might be talking about 5-6" (didn't check, just guessing) of difference in drop between the calibers I listed. In my eyes that isn't a big deal.

Just some thoughts.

Magman, your post was perfectly ok. I am here to learn so give me all you got. I already have a 7wsm which I like a great deal but am wanting to get something with more punch. I am thinking the longer barrel might be what I need to go with especially for the type of hunting I do. And I did not know that the two calibers were that close ballistically out to that range. Thanks for the info.

I would build a .338 lupua with a 30" barrel and that would take care of long range shooting . check the ballistics out on that before you build a 7mm or unless you want to go light 6.5 - 284

There is very little reason to build a 7RUM for sub 500 yard shots if you have a 7WSM. But to answer your question on barrel length. I would go with a #8 contour 30" barrel.....but I don't mind the weight.

My first custom rifle I had built with a 30 inch barrel and it definately took some getting used to. Most of my hunting is blind/stand hunting for whitetail with a lot of in and out of the pickup and 30 inches plus brake was a lot. I think it was somebody on this forum that said a 30 inch rifle barrel is like a broken pinky finger. You don't think much about it until you start bumping everything with it and I can't agree more. My new rifle is a 300 Allen Xpress with a 27 inch Lilja. It is a #7, I think, with heavy fluting and I couldn't be happier. I think Kirby would have rather seen me use a longer barrel to take advantage of the performance but I will trade that for a gun that "feels" as good as this one does. It even shoots very well off hand and I managed to kill a doe at 250 yards this way 2 weeks ago. However, the rifle still weighs probably 14-15 lbs. For an awsome balance between power, weight, and accuracy, the 7mm Allen Mag that Kirby Allen hauls around is probably as good as you are going to get for a full on sporter rifle but I don't know the spec.'s on it. It is one cool rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.