New to forum..Need advice on barrel size and length

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Kamp34, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Kamp34

Kamp34 New Member

Well I am new to this forum and is my first post but seems to be a very helpful place for information so I decided to join...

I am having a 7 Ultra Mag built and my question is what size of barrel would yall recommend? I am going to go with a Krieger. My gunsmith was kinda in the air about barrel size. He said he would go with either a 24" #4 or a 26" #3. I just want to make sure I am getting the right barrel for me and my needs and I know very little when it comes to building a rifle. Any advice or info is appreciated. Thanks

2. MagMan

MagMan Well-Known Member

I'd do at the very least a 28"

Why would you choose to build a high performance rig and then handicap it with a short barrel? 24" is way to short IMHO.

3. Kamp34

Kamp34 New Member

Magman, thanks for the reply. I was kinda thinking that 24" was too short as well but like I said I'm not as educated as most when it comes to building a rifle. It will be used only for hunting and not for a bench and I think is why my gunsmith recommended going with a little shorter barrel so it's not as bulky.

4. gahlizard

gahlizard Well-Known Member

what are your needs out of this build. where are you going to be carrying it to and from(spot and stalk, stand hunting or a walking rifle) that will help you pick what is right for you instead right for us:rolleyes:

5. Kamp34

Kamp34 New Member

gahlizard, I hunt mainly for whitetail in NW Texas where it is wide open which makes for long range shooting (well long range for me) out to 450yds. I will mainly be in a deer blind so I won't be walking much even though I do so from time to time. But I am also building this gun for future elk hunts, muley hunts or even a canadian whitetail hunt.

6. MagMan

MagMan Well-Known Member

Kamp, I'm sorry if my post may have come off as abrasive.

In all reality a deer at 500 yards won't know the difference between a 7mm RUM, STW, Dakota or even the WSM.

If you're looking for a big heavy rig I'd say go with a long barreled RUM.

If you're looking to conserve weight for a mid-weight rifle I'd have no fear in doing a 22-24" 7mm WSM.

At 500 you might be talking about 5-6" (didn't check, just guessing) of difference in drop between the calibers I listed. In my eyes that isn't a big deal.

Just some thoughts.

7. Kamp34

Kamp34 New Member

Magman, your post was perfectly ok. I am here to learn so give me all you got. I already have a 7wsm which I like a great deal but am wanting to get something with more punch. I am thinking the longer barrel might be what I need to go with especially for the type of hunting I do. And I did not know that the two calibers were that close ballistically out to that range. Thanks for the info.

8. snowpro440

snowpro440 Well-Known Member

I would build a .338 lupua with a 30" barrel and that would take care of long range shooting . check the ballistics out on that before you build a 7mm or unless you want to go light 6.5 - 284

9. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

There is very little reason to build a 7RUM for sub 500 yard shots if you have a 7WSM. But to answer your question on barrel length. I would go with a #8 contour 30" barrel.....but I don't mind the weight.

10. buffalorancher

buffalorancher Writers Guild

My first custom rifle I had built with a 30 inch barrel and it definately took some getting used to. Most of my hunting is blind/stand hunting for whitetail with a lot of in and out of the pickup and 30 inches plus brake was a lot. I think it was somebody on this forum that said a 30 inch rifle barrel is like a broken pinky finger. You don't think much about it until you start bumping everything with it and I can't agree more. My new rifle is a 300 Allen Xpress with a 27 inch Lilja. It is a #7, I think, with heavy fluting and I couldn't be happier. I think Kirby would have rather seen me use a longer barrel to take advantage of the performance but I will trade that for a gun that "feels" as good as this one does. It even shoots very well off hand and I managed to kill a doe at 250 yards this way 2 weeks ago. However, the rifle still weighs probably 14-15 lbs. For an awsome balance between power, weight, and accuracy, the 7mm Allen Mag that Kirby Allen hauls around is probably as good as you are going to get for a full on sporter rifle but I don't know the spec.'s on it. It is one cool rifle.