Barrel Length on new build

duckaholic25

I am in the process of getting my first custom rifle bulit. Pierce engineering is building it. It will be chambered in 300 win mag, mcmillian A5, Liljia 3 groove sendero contour. I was first planning on going with a 26'' barrel unbraked, but since talking with some people I think I am going with a brake. I feel like a 26'' barrel that is braked will be too long when I am hunting in my box stands, so my question is if I make it a 25'' barrel what all am I giving up with an inch less barrel. Thanks

...in my box stands, so my question is if I make it a 25'' barrel what all am I giving up with an inch less barrel. Thanks

Unless you're shooting beyond 1000 yds out of your box blind. Whatever you're loosing is irrelevant. I'd hack it to 23-24 and break it. Maybe even shorter if you're shooting from a box.

Now if the greater majority of your hunting were wide open space, I'd say it's no big deal, pick the length you want.

I have a Pierce rifle, and it is awesome. Bet you are going to like yours.

In fact, I was at their shop today dropping off a factory 300WSM to have a brake put on. That ought to tell you where I come out in terms of that debate - I'm tired of getting punched in the shoulder for no reason.

My personal opinion would be to stay at 26" and still go with the brake. That extra inch shouldn't be that much of a burden. You may want to consider having them make you a thread protector as well - if the extra length is a problem you can take the brake off to hunt. If you are hunting from an enclosed box, you may want to do that anyway. A braked rifle blowing back into an enclosed box is no fun.

My 2C. Enjoy your new rifle.

Brandon

I am in the process of getting my first custom rifle bulit. Pierce engineering is building it. It will be chambered in 300 win mag, mcmillian A5, Liljia 3 groove sendero contour. I was first planning on going with a 26'' barrel unbraked, but since talking with some people I think I am going with a brake. I feel like a 26'' barrel that is braked will be too long when I am hunting in my box stands, so my question is if I make it a 25'' barrel what all am I giving up with an inch less barrel. Thanks
All of my hunting rigs are 26" or longer and are topped with brakes that are 2.5" or longer except short range rigs.

You can get buy with shorter on the 300wm but you will not be getting the best performance possible.

You can cut one off later if you decide it's too long but you can't lengthen it of you decide it's too short.

I would certainly not go shorter than 26" and 28" is preferred.

Length can be a problem carrying a stalking rig but shooting from a stand I wouldn't even make it a consideration.

Cut it off at 24" you will do fine. I have sat in a few tree stands in SC and fully understand wanting a shorter rifle. Nothing makes the deer leave the area like a loud clunk of the muzzle accidentally wacking some metal in the stand!

FYI my 300 RUM's barrel is 24". Using RL-33 I still am getting 2975 with a 230 Berger.

As a general rule, you will give up about 25 fps for every inch of barrel you cut off. The 300 WM has more than enough to spare. Besides, it sounds as if your rig is not a dedicated LR rig, but more of a multi-purpose rifle. If this is in fact the case, cut a couple of inches off and don't look back. If the rifle is meant to be a dedicated LR rig, then put the brake on your 26" barrel and learn to work around the addl length.

All of my hunting rigs are 26" or longer and are topped with brakes that are 2.5" or longer except short range rigs.

You can get buy with shorter on the 300wm but you will not be getting the best performance possible.

You can cut one off later if you decide it's too long but you can't lengthen it of you decide it's too short.

I would certainly not go shorter than 26" and 28" is preferred.

Length can be a problem carrying a stalking rig but shooting from a stand I wouldn't even make it a consideration.

+1
I would go 28" or more. Im also a barrel whore. I will put up with a lot of inconvenience for a few extra inches of barrel.
Rose and feenix make a great point, you can always cut a barrel down.

Yeah the rifle will be a multipurpose gun. I live in north LA and want have many hunting opportunities over 300 yards, plan on stretching it out on paper and steel. I kinda like the idea of making it 26 and if I fell that I need it shorter just get it cut down and recrowned. Thanks for the replies guys I can't express how excited I am to get it in. I will post some pics when I finally get her.

I will help temper your excitement.

Here is my crappy Pierce Engineering Rifle:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 84
And here is a crappy 3-shot group I shot at 100 shortly after finishing my break-in (and before any real load development).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 84
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.