Barrel Length

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Mauser34, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Mauser34

Mauser34 Well-Known Member

I'm about to start my first build, it's going to be a 308 Norma Mag. I'm going to a Shilen or Douglas barrel in it. The rifle is going to be used for mostly long range hunting. I'm thinking about running a max contour 20inch barrel 1:10 twist. What do you guys think?

2. Nimrod

Nimrod Well-Known Member

I think you would be screwing yourself with a 20" barrel. I have no idea what a max contour barrel is, the 10 twist would be fine I think, but I would go at least 26" on the length if not longer

Bob

3. Mauser34

By max contour I mean a straight barrel.

4. edinidaho

edinidaho Member

+ one on the 26" tube

Ed

5. fmajor

fmajor Well-Known Member

I had a full-bull (no contour) Douglas "Air-Guaged", 24" bbl chambered in .300WM and it was a shooter (sold it long ago). However, i've since been advised that it was exceptional to acheive that level of accuracy (.2" with 190grn SGK, RL22, Fed 215 primers and Winchester brass).

Why are you choosing a 20" bbl?

In any event, if were to stick with the two choices you offer, i'd like to try a Shilen (one of their Premium Match Grade).

Otherwise, there a good handful of superb barrel makers to choose from that i would look to before your choices.

6. Buffalobob

Buffalobob Writers Guild

The shorter the barrel, the less contour you need for stiffness. Once the barrel exceeds your personal shooting skill you gain nothing.

7. Mauser34

I'm looking at a 20 inch tube because there are almost no barrel vibrations and it would be easy to carry around on a hunt and Shilen because its been recommended to me by a lot of people.

8. Buffalobob

Buffalobob Writers Guild

How many national bench rest titles have you won that you need that level of stiffness in a hunting rifle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Long Time Long Ranger

Long Time Long Ranger Well-Known Member

If you are looking at a short barrel consider the 300 wsm which will shoot virtually equal to the 308 norma in a short barrel. I would also bring it out to 24". The 300 wsm is overall a better choice with your specs for several reasons. With the super high BC 208 Amax you would have a tack driver.

10. Mauser34

So how long of a barrel would you guys recommend?

11. barnesuser28

barnesuser28 Well-Known Member

You already had some suggestions.

12. backwoods83

backwoods83 Well-Known Member

Personally my choice would be 28" if you want to shoot 190s and heavier, if you use a 20" you may as well have a 30-06. Shilen would be my last pick, broughton, bartlien, benchmark, and lilja are far superior.

13. T3-OleMan

T3-OleMan Well-Known Member

14. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Go with a sendero taper, or maybe as light as the #5 or #6 Lilja contour and you'll be a lot happier in the end. Also go with at least 26-28" so as to maximize velocity without pushing pressures.

Also I'd say go with a 1:9 or 1:9.5 twist so you can shoot the heavier VLD's. You'll need a little tighter twist with the .300 NM than you would with a 300 Rum or 30/378 to stabilize the longer/heavier VLD's since your velocities will be a bit lower. Remember spin or RPM is a function of both twist rate and velocity.

As for barrels, I'd recommend Lilja, Benchmark, and Krieger over Shilen and certainly over Douglas. I've known of a lot of people that ended up terribly disappointed in Douglas barrels.