New Super-High-BC Flat Line Bullets

I hope we settle down a bit because have another BC slug rest.

I'll have to get some in 338 and 308. I got the rifles for it from 308Win to Edge and everything in between.

I've got 100 pcs each of the 200 gr 30 cal & 338 255.5 gr on order, 2-3 weeks out they said

Will see if they'll make me a couple hundred 240gr 8mm (.323") bullets by turning down the 255.5 gr 338 cal bullets, maybe even with a slightly wider and deeper HP for hunting !

I've got 100 pcs each of the 200 gr 30 cal & 338 255.5 gr on order, 2-3 weeks out they said

Will see if they'll make me a couple hundred 240gr 8mm (.323") bullets by turning down the 255.5 gr 338 cal bullets, maybe even with a slightly wider and deeper HP for hunting !

What twist will you be using for the 200gn 30 cal?

Will you report back on your BC findings, and maybe post a pic of the entire bullet, so we can see the boat tail?

Yes they are solids, so they are fairly light weight and fly fast. They run on standard but quick twists. For example the 155 gr. 30 cal. needs a 1:10" twist to be stable. (nope a 1:11.25 will not work in all conditions). I believe the 200 gr. 30 cal. requires a 1:9 twist.

The BC's are correct, having been verified by multiple different shooters. They were used at Camp Perry by 3 shooters (including Alan Warner who came out of shooting retirement to shoot in competition once again) with good results (I don't have the actual results, but they are public record somewhere).

JeffVN

I forgot to add the stated .338 lm velocities (3,300 fps) were generated using a variant of the 338 LM Ackley (40 degree shoulder, but different taper) w/ a 1:10" twist and a 32" tube, sitting on top of 106+ gr. of RL-33. That load was a bit spicey on pressure (it was shot in the summer at temps over 90 degrees in the shade), and was not adopted as a standard load.

A newer, shorter barrel has also been used with success but not yet run over the Ohler 35-P.

JEffVN

Being very good friends with Josh Kunz owner of Patriot Valley arms and the designer of the flat line projectiles. I highly doubt that the BC are not correct with in +- .02

You can check him out if you want but few his age or anyother that are anywhere near as knowledgeable when it comes to ELR. I met him when he was 25 and a lead design engineer on the BlackHawk or Chinook or some other Chopper. Hell I can't remember. But anyway he is as sharp as they come.

First Look: New Super-High-BC Flat Line Bullets | PrecisionRifleBlog.com

https://www.facebook.com/patriotvalleyarms

I am sure Jeff will chime in with great info when he gets his pills.

Being very good friends with Josh Kunz owner of Patriot Valley arms and the designer of the flat line projectiles. I highly doubt that the BC are not correct with in +- .02

Now knowing that Josh Kunz owner of Patriot Valley arms is involved, based on past experience with his lack of personal integrity, I'm now skeptical and will wait and see.

I thought I would add a bit more information to my prior posts about the solids, since I had a chance to shoot and gather some data regarding the 30 cal. 155 gr. pills and the 255 gr. .338 pills over the weekend.

All velocities were obtained using an Ohler 35P chronograph w/ proof channel (so its actually an average of 10 inputs from 5 shots) set up 13' from the muzzle of the rifle.

30 Cal. 155s shot from my 27" 1:10 twist Kreiger .308 (Chambered and built by Terry Cross @ KMW).
avg. velocity was 3014 fps (5 shot average (including cold bore); ES of 15, SD of 6).

.338 - 255s from my 30" 1:10 twist Bartlein .338 LM Improved (Chambered and built by Warner Tool).
avg. velocity was 3,120 fps (5 shot average (including cold bore); ES of 14, SD is 5 - using 101+ gr. H1000).

.338 300 gr. Lapua Scenars from 30" 1:10 twist Bartlein .338 LM Improved (Chambered and built by Warner Tool).
Avg. velocity was 3,025 fps (5 shot average (shot immediately after the solids - without cleaning - so no cold bore velocity here); ES of 15, SD is 6 - using 103+ gr. RL-33).

JeffVN

I thought I would add a bit more information to my prior posts about the solids, since I had a chance to shoot and gather some data regarding the 30 cal. 155 gr. pills and the 255 gr. .338 pills over the weekend.

All velocities were obtained using an Ohler 35P chronograph w/ proof channel (so its actually an average of 10 inputs from 5 shots) set up 13' from the muzzle of the rifle.

30 Cal. 155s shot from my 27" 1:10 twist Kreiger .308 (Chambered and built by Terry Cross @ KMW).
avg. velocity was 3014 fps (5 shot average (including cold bore); ES of 15, SD of 6).

.338 - 255s from my 30" 1:10 twist Bartlein .338 LM Improved (Chambered and built by Warner Tool).
avg. velocity was 3,120 fps (5 shot average (including cold bore); ES of 14, SD is 5 - using 101+ gr. H1000).

.338 300 gr. Lapua Scenars from 30" 1:10 twist Bartlein .338 LM Improved (Chambered and built by Warner Tool).
Avg. velocity was 3,025 fps (5 shot average (shot immediately after the solids - without cleaning - so no cold bore velocity here); ES of 15, SD is 6 - using 103+ gr. RL-33).

JeffVN
how are they grouping at distance?

sub 1/2 MOA groups at distances beyond 500 meters. I don't engage in a quest for a 1/4 MOA or smaller group; with most of my rigs sub 1/2 will get me hits on the targets I am shooting at from the distances that I am will to take the shots. I've found that if it shoots tight enough at 500+ meters it will shoot tight regardless of how far I intend to shoot the rifle.

JeffVN

One of my busy seasons is in full swing, so I haven't tested out to 1600 yet, but the 155's do group happily from a 10-twist.

Despite the promotional garbage saying to use a fast powder only, that you can push them to 130-class speeds, and their ability to leap tall buildings in a single bound; physics still apply to this world. We tested them in 2 different rifles, one a 24" & the other a 22" barrel. My 24" I used a warned against slow powder, CFE; and compared against a 150gr SMK. The same charge, with the same jump to lands yielded...... Correct, the Same velocities!

Next was the 22" gun, only this time uber-magic was pitted against the lowly 150gr Sierra Pro Hunter. This rifle tested with CFE, & 4895. Again same charges with each, Same jump to lands. Velocities were......?
The same!! They weren't identical, but statistically the same, and the split between the bullets and powders held remarkably predictable.
So a "high bearing surface" flat base bullet, against the FlatLine produced identical velocities. Also debunked the notion of not using slow powders....
The CFE Traces I seem to have filled somewhere I can't find, but they were the Same story.
Screenshot_2015-09-08-18-59-03_zpst4w0ukh1.png

Screenshot_2015-09-08-19-00-14_zps3pazhbys.png

Very carefully calibrated copper crushers cannot accurately report pressures over @ 45,000 psi. A reloader using UN-Calibrated primers from an unknown alloy, and uncalibrated cases of an unknown alloy; isn't magically going to accurately know pressures by staring at them. The fact that some monkey with a Precision blog, or a guy trying to sell you bullets, said you "can" push them to the Same speeds as a 130-class.... Doesn't make it a smart idea.

One of my busy seasons is in full swing, so I haven't tested out to 1600 yet, but the 155's do group happily from a 10-twist.

Despite the promotional garbage saying to use a fast powder only, that you can push them to 130-class speeds, and their ability to leap tall buildings in a single bound; physics still apply to this world. We tested them in 2 different rifles, one a 24" & the other a 22" barrel. My 24" I used a warned against slow powder, CFE; and compared against a 150gr SMK. The same charge, with the same jump to lands yielded...... Correct, the Same velocities!

Next was the 22" gun, only this time uber-magic was pitted against the lowly 150gr Sierra Pro Hunter. This rifle tested with CFE, & 4895. Again same charges with each, Same jump to lands. Velocities were......?
The same!! They weren't identical, but statistically the same, and the split between the bullets and powders held remarkably predictable.
So a "high bearing surface" flat base bullet, against the FlatLine produced identical velocities. Also debunked the notion of not using slow powders....
The CFE Traces I seem to have filled somewhere I can't find, but they were the Same story.
Screenshot_2015-09-08-18-59-03_zpst4w0ukh1.png

Screenshot_2015-09-08-19-00-14_zps3pazhbys.png

Very carefully calibrated copper crushers cannot accurately report pressures over @ 45,000 psi. A reloader using UN-Calibrated primers from an unknown alloy, and uncalibrated cases of an unknown alloy; isn't magically going to accurately know pressures by staring at them. The fact that some monkey with a Precision blog, or a guy trying to sell you bullets, said you "can" push them to the Same speeds as a 130-class.... Doesn't make it a smart idea.

Ok so now that your done taking shots at someone for highlighting a product and simply repeating the manufactures claims could we please get back to objectively analyzing the performance of the bullets without the name calling? It's childish and frankly uncalled for.

Obviously you have proven with quantifiable data above that their claim they can be pushed as fast as lighter bullets is BS. However I have been looking but can not seem to find where anyone has confirmed the stated B.C. other than a few "well it looks like it's flatter" statements. During your testing did you ever get to shoot them at extended ranges to see how they performed?

I am interested to see if these bullets are actually as areodynamic as they claim to be. However with an unfinished rifle and a lack of long range opportunities I unfortunately cannot test them myself.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.