High BC .308 bullets

rocky_lange

I am looking for some bullet options for my 30-378 Weatherby. I would like to shoot heavier tham 200 gr bullets with high BCs. So far, I have not come up with many options. Of course SMKs up to 240 gr, Hornady 208 gr AMax, Berger 210 VLDs and Nosler Accubond 200gr.

But, I wanted 220 gr or better in a true hunting bullet which the SMK is not.

So, tell me my options (even if it means a target bullet) and your experiences with the heavy .308 bullet's perfomance as a game stopper. I hear alot of people like the Berger. Does anybody hunt with SMKs and are they a one-shot killer? Anybody here use the Barnes TSX, MRX or tried the new TTSX? (speaking of the TTSX, does anyone have the BCs for the 150, 168 and 180 gr bullets yet?)

My 30-378 does not like the lighter bullets. 1-10" twist is a little fast for the 150s and 168s IMO and they don't group well for me.

Rocky

The SMK will do fine for longer shots. It may cause some issues with 0 -300 yards. I would personally lean towards the 200 AB if you want an All around bullet.

"But, I wanted 220 gr or better in a true hunting bullet which the SMK is not. "

uh...oh...hornets nest underfoot...

The higher sectional density SMK's per caliber have done pretty well for hunting. I had a couple of 240's out of a 10 twist 300 RUM do great on elk at 450yds this year. They are not meant to put into a bull elk shoulder joint at 40 yards. Every bullet design has compromises. NAB's and virtually every other bullet have at least some stories of 'failures'. ...gotta use them as intended per design.

Richard Graves' Wildcat Bullets has produced some ULD RBBT's up to 290g. He's in the process of producing some Aluminum tipped bullets that provide hi BC, but reportedly reliable expansion at the same time. Wildcat Bullets Home (Did I get that right, guys?)

Edit ad: 290gr. .308 wc uld rbbt pictures from hiking & backpacking photos on webshots Richard is reportedly having some trouble getting all his operation up and running due to the trying to get the Al tip fit different jacket thicknesses perfectly, etc., but I think the consensus is that he'll get it all figured out here and should be producing, at some point, a high BC reliably expanding bullet. 10 twist in .308 may be too slow for his long bullets, however. Good luck.

Last edited:
Right now, the best bullets available ballistically are the Berger, Sierra, etc 210, and Hornady 208. The 240 SMK is pretty good ballisitcally and is an outstanding hunting bullet. The highest BC mass produced 30 Cal bullet by a long ways will be when Berger makes something heavier than a 210, which I hope they will soon.

If you want high BC, forget about Barnes.

"But, I wanted 220 gr or better in a true hunting bullet which the SMK is not. "

"uh...oh...hornets nest underfoot..."

Sorry JMDEN, I am not meaning to upset the nest, was just saying that the SMK was not designed as a hunting bullet. Nor is the Berger VLD. But yes, many use them with great results. I too will probably end up using them. I just wanted to start with 220 + grain hunting bullets first if there were any.

Rocky

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts