New Special Operations Command sniper rifle fantasy poll

SaskShooter

Precision Sniper Rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I, and many others, watched closely to see who would win in the epic battle of sniper rifles competing to be the "PSR", the new United States Special Forces Command sniper rifle. Of course, the contract went to Remington in the end, because the contract always goes to Remington...... Some very innovative designs were put forth, but didn't receive the recognition they deserved.

It's time we all got some closure, and figured out who really deserved to win.

Here are the criteria set forth by USSFO for the PSR-

1. The system shall be chambered to safely fire factory produced "non-wildcat" Small Arms Ammunition Manufacturing Institute (SAAMI) or Commercial European standard (CIP) ammunition.
  2. The action can be either manually or gas operated and available in left and right hand versions.
  3. With primary day optic and ammunition the system shall provide 1.0 MOA from 300 to 1500 meters (in 300 meter increments) when fired from the shoulder or an accuracy fixture in nominal conditions.
    This is further defined as 1 MOA Extreme Vertical Spread for all shots in a 10 round group at the stated distances.
  4. Mean Rounds Between Failures (MRBF) shall be 1000 rounds.
  5. The system shall have an overall length no greater than 52" in full configuration / extended excluding suppressor with a single component no greater in length than 40".
  6. The system shall weigh no more than 18 lbs with a 12:00 MilStd 1913 rail and a loaded magazine with 5 rounds.
  7. The system shall be capable of operator breakdown into major components in less than two minutes.
  8. The system will assemble from the major component breakdown in less than two minutes by the operator.
  9. The system will assemble from breakdown with no change in weapon zero.
  10. The system will have an integral MilStd 1913 rail at the 12:00 position, the rail will be capable of maintaining bore sight alignment and weapon zero while conducting routine firing combined with combat movement and operational training drills
The contenders!

Last edited:
I believe you are asking for opinions on the manufacturer contenders. Remington has been awarded the contract and we can't change this. My vote goes for the uniformed man and in the near future possibly woman behind any sniper system. I firmly believe the sniper team is clearly the winner, capable of deploying any of the competitor sniper systems to the perfection to which they train. Just my $.02 and a vote not for steel but for the hard earned flesh and sweat of the warrior.

I believe you are asking for opinions on the manufacturer contenders. Remington has been awarded the contract and we can't change this. My vote goes for the uniformed man and in the near future possibly woman behind any sniper system. I firmly believe the sniper team is clearly the winner, capable of deploying any of the competitor sniper systems to the perfection to which they train. Just my $.02 and a vote not for steel but for the hard earned flesh and sweat of the warrior.

Well, I'd have to certainly have to agree that the shooter is more important than the rifle, and since the poll didn't work............. I guess we'll leave it at that.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.