Remington 260...The new Sniper rifle?

The 308 has come a ways from shooting the 168 at 2700 fps. 30 cal bullets also have come a good ways from the 175 mk being the bee's knees.

In my factory 26 1:12 rem i pushed the 215 berger to 2675 safely. A little rough on brass but it held up fine in the heat.

In my 30" 1:10 ftr rifle i pushed it to 2730 around max load in my tight chamber.

I currently shoot that bullet at 2610 at sea level.

At 1k at sea level in 80 deg it looks like this
215 berger hybrid @ 2610
30.5 moa elev.
6 moa wind. (10 mph)
1534 fps
1124 ft lbs

I dont recommend either the 260 or 308 for lr elk hunting nor would i use them.
Im also a huge fan of all the 08 cases.
But if i wanted to take a sh:t on one of the other catridges, im pretty sure i could make a compelling argument.

Bottom line they are all great chamberings, pick one and learn how to maximize its potential.

I do now.

There has been a lot of reviving of old threads lately, i gotta start watching those dates.
Yeah, LOTS of thread reviving lately. I know I've done it a few times thanks to finding a link back here from Google, or something, but that's rare. Usually if it's an old thread, I'll just ignore it and start a new one.

Yall do realize this thread was started in Jan 2009, and has been dead since 2011, right? :D

So when a person asks a question that has already been asked or wants to engage in a discussion that interests them, we are told to use the search function. So I used the search function and tried to revive a tread that interests me and now I'm told this is an old thread and nobody cares or should respond?

Jay

So when a person asks a question that has already been asked or wants to engage in a discussion that interests them, we are told to use the search function. So I used the search function and tried to revive a tread that interests me and now I'm told this is an old thread and nobody cares or should respond?

Jay
I didn't tell you to use the search function.....So, don't shoot the messenger.

I was just making sure you were aware of how long this thread has been dead.

Oh, and I never once said nobody cares, or should not respond... Don't put words in my mouth, and don't try to read into things that aren't there.

All anybody has to do to match the windage of the 260 using the 308 is use a heavier bullet. The 208-210 do nicely. Hit much harder too. Want to beat the 260? Try the 215 hybrid. You can't touch the 308 with the 260 except for trajectory. But then again, that's what laser rangefinders are for.

That said, the military likely will never run 210's or heavier in a 308 but if they'd add one or two inches of barrel and take up the 190 vld, it would really ramp up what they're already doing.

M

All anybody has to do to match the windage of the 260 using the 308 is use a heavier bullet. The 208-210 do nicely. Hit much harder too. Want to beat the 260? Try the 215 hybrid. You can't touch the 308 with the 260 except for trajectory. But then again, that's what laser rangefinders are for.

That said, the military likely will never run 210's or heavier in a 308 but if they'd add one or two inches of barrel and take up the 190 vld, it would really ramp up what they're already doing.

M
They'd never do that...That would be too cost effective. :D

I have still been having excellent luck with my 210 VLD's in my .308 with the 24" barrel.

I didn't tell you to use the search function.....So, don't shoot the messenger.

I was just making sure you were aware of how long this thread has been dead.

Oh, and I never once said nobody cares, or should not respond... Don't put words in my mouth, and don't try to read into things that aren't there.

Sorry if you felt like I was putting words in your mouth. Not my intent. I guess I have just been ripped too many times for asking or trying to discuss things previously talked about. I was generalizing the statement.

Jay

Last edited:
I'm confused about some of these numbers floating around. Seen people saying 2750 is good for a 260 rem with 140 gr vld? I had those results using light loads in 139gr scenar backed by 43gr of ar2209 at seating of standard 2.8" mag. I am working up a vld load now which looks promising but should he able to get 46gr with no pressure seated off the lands at just short of 3", I had no pressure with 45gr at 2.8". My point is I am expecting 2850 to 2900 fps from these, out of a 24" factory barrel... that's a long way from 2750.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.