New scope opinions

Before you even consider a high dollar scope take the time to see if you want a first focal plane or 2nd focal plane scope, do you want MOA or Mil based turrets, and a host of other things you did not mention. What rangefinder are you going to use ? Do you want a custom turret matched to your G7BR2 ? Lots of things to consider for a scope to meet your needs.
https://www.longrangehunting.com/store/g7-br2500-ballistic-rangefinder/
https://www.longrangehunting.com/store/sig-sauer-kilo-2400.html

Also check the eye relief. Anything with less than ACTUAL 3-1/2 inches of eye relief could give you a 'scope-eyebrow' and anything with 3 inches or less is likely to have minimal latitude of eye relief OR if you prefer, a very small 'eye box'.

Hello

I'm new to the forum and i'm looking to get a new scope and don't know much if anything about where to start or what look for. I've hunted woods all my life and used a Remington .270 with a $200 range 9 power luepold with good success, however, I've recently had the opportunity to hunt Montana and took a nice mule deer with it, but have noticed the potential limitations of the smaller caliber. I plan go out west regularly now.I just purchased a 300 ultra mag that I intend to use as my primary long-term weapon. I'm pretty much looking for a scope that will last me a long time, be good in low light, and be effective in longer range situations (say up to 800 yds). I know practice is a key factor and I have an area to practice longer range shots. Basically I want to make a one time purchase $2000 ish cap. (I'm also willing to look at used scopes if necessary)

thanks

Welcome to LRH and enjoy! I am glad you had an opportunity to have a successful hunt in our Big Sky Country.

$2K for scope gives you a pretty good selection and most of the members have provided a nice list already. Perhaps it would help to narrow it down if you a personal preference on focal plane ...

Good luck!

Ed

Last edited:
Welcome to LRH and enjoy! I am glad you had an opportunity to have a successful hunt in our Big Sky Country.

$2K for scope gives you a pretty good selection and most of the members have provided a nice list already. Perhaps it would help to narrow it down if you a personal preference on focal point ...

Good luck!

Ed

Very good Info thank you. I will be researching this as well

I would avoid leupold and look at some of the other suggestions. Them lupys be breaking on the reg. They say they have the best warranty youll never use...but then the scopes stops tracking correctly.

If your considering S&B get one. Since I bought my first one back in 92 I have had 1 in the safe ever since. I know I cannot put one on each rifle but I will have one. Currently I haave the 3-12 that was the ssds for the Marine corp a while back. If I get another it will most likely be used and a 5-25 PMII.
After you decide which focal plane you'd prefer, decide what reticle you would like. After that shop for the brands that provide that style of reticle in your preferred focal plane. In my 270 I have a simple mil hash ffp. I went with 1st focal plane because I like the fact that at any power my zero will not shift and my holds take no thought if I have to dial down some magnification due to environmental difficulties. Since my long shots are usually at song dogs a open crosshair works .

$2K for scope gives you a pretty good selection and most of the members have provided a nice list already. Perhaps it would help to narrow it down if you a personal preference on focal plane ...

Good luck!

Ed

Thanks for that video Ed. Great video and great info.

What, no love for Leica?

Below is a few comparison for glass only. Greg has lots of expensive scopes.

August 30, 2018 60 degrees bright sun (shooting range) Leica ER 6.5-26X56 LRS, Bushnell 6500 4 ½-30X50, Swarovski x5i 5-25X56, Swarovski z8i 2.3-18X56

Greg allowed me to adjust them as though they are mine. I picked some very small circles on a target at 300 yards and adjusted the z8i to 18X, set the parallax and fine tuned the sight picture. If I turned the magnification down even 1X I could not make out the circles. x5i was able to go down to 15 1/2X, while the Leica went down to 14 1/2X. The 6500 went down to 15X. I never get tired of being post sold on my Bushnell 6500. In this simple comparison it appears the Leica came out on top.

Agree with FEENIX and others that have suggested you figure out the type of scope you're looking for- FFP/SFP, tall turrets vs. low profile turrets, reticle, MIL/MOA, etc.

I actually just went through the scope buying process for a new rifle I'm building. Most of my hunting here in TX requires me to get in a truck and drive to within a few hundred yards of where I'l be hunting. Most of the hunting is then stationary, so most of my rifles (except my .270 win deer rifle) are in the 13-15# range with a scope and I don't worry about the weight because I'm not moving around too much. That's why I have a few heavy but solid scopes (NF, Vortex Razor HD, etc.).

Next fall I plan to be hunting between 7500-8500 feet above see level, constantly on the move. I wanted a sub-9 pound rifle with scope, and closer to 8 is my target. LOTS of people have opinions on the best glass, brands etc. and all have bad experiences with some and great experiences with others. I love Nightforce, but they're too big and bulky for my intended use, as are the Vortex Razor HD line that I also have and enjoy. For this, I went with a Leupold VX-6HD 3-18x44. "But Leupy's track for $h!t..." some people say. Well, those are largely based on older models, and I've found just as many positive reviews out there for the new 5HD and 6HD line, which appears to suggest that the company has seen the light and is once again focusing on quality. Also, the warranty is great if the scope ever does go down, it weighs under 20 ounces, and I got one heck of a deal on it by being patient and shopping around, looking at patterns at different places for when things go on sale. I picked mine up brand new for right at $1k, which is about $300 less than it sells for just about everywhere I've seen...even where I bought it (it's now back up to $1300 where I bought it).

So, long story short- do not rush into this decision. Figure out the features you want, narrow down a list of contenders, and go put your hands on them if you can. Compare them side by side if possible. Figure out who stocks them, and be patient. You'll find what best suits your needs eventually, and your decision will fit you better than if you make a quick purchase now based on quick online polling.

What, no love for Leica?
I would avoid leupold and look at some of the other suggestions. Them lupys be breaking on the reg. They say they have the best warranty youll never use...but then the scopes stops tracking correctly.
Owned Leupold's since the 70's. Never had a single problem. Not a single one... ever. Just curious on what everyone else is using..

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.